Varsity Roster..cutting girls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Our HS keeps 20 total for both jv and varsity. 9 and 9 on the 2 rosters works out pretty good and still leaves some wiggle room for DP's, courtesy runners, and subs.

Coach is pretty good about watching the jv girls and if they are really performing they get a varsity shot. Of coarse the easiest way to go from jv to V is your BAT.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Our HS keeps 20 total for both jv and varsity. 9 and 9 on the 2 rosters works out pretty good and still leaves some wiggle room for DP's, courtesy runners, and subs.

Coach is pretty good about watching the jv girls and if they are really performing they get a varsity shot. Of coarse the easiest way to go from jv to V is your BAT.

So each dugout only has 9 girls, meaning no subs? Or 20 for each team? Not sure what you said there.

Our last HS coach had no problems playing freshman ahead of seniors, almost always had at least one that got regular playing time. Given that girls mature earlier, that SHOULD happen every now and then, if your coach plays the best players. Also has to do with how good the local TB programs are, that's where the players learn their skills.

My .02

Nov 29, 2009
Why cut? If a girl wants to come to practice and put forth an effort and does not "mind" minimal playing time, why would you cut her? Her friends and family will come to the games fill the stands and and support the program. Sure if she is a supervision problem that IS a reason to cut her, but if she wants to be on the team and gives good effort... why cut?

You can only effectively coach a certain number of girls in the given practice time. What happens is the starters end up missing the needed reps while the coach is trying to work with the girls on the lower end of the talent scale. While the weaker ones won't start they do end up using the limited resources the coach has available to the them.

The other thing that can really destroy a team is a disgruntled parent in the stands who is wearing parent-tinted glasses or those who become an outright pest to the coach when it comes to their daughter. DD's HS team had a dad like that. The girl was a marginal player at best on a good day. She had a brick in her glove, cement spikes and couldn't hit her weight. I will giver credit, she did practice and try to get better. Unfortunately, she did not possess the talent to compete at a high level. During the spring when they were working indoors all the parents would be sitting in their cars waiting for practice to end. Ol' Daddy Brown-Nose would have to go inside and walk the HC out to her car after every practice. His schtick didn't fool the coach. The only time his DD made it to the field was after the freshman starter twisted an ankle badly.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I really don't see reps for starters as an issue. ... You have practice everyday for up to 3 hours, some on Saturday.

Not in the northern states. In Chicagoland, it is tough to go much past 5:30 during the week. If it starts raining (or snowing), you can miss an entire week of practice. Once the fields get wet, they take forever to dry out. The gyms are usually booked 1 or 2 months in advance, so you just can't go to the gym and finish the practice. And, realistically, the girls need to be practicing outside. It can be a real challenge to practice.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
So each dugout only has 9 girls, meaning no subs? Or 20 for each team? Not sure what you said there.

Our last HS coach had no problems playing freshman ahead of seniors, almost always had at least one that got regular playing time. Given that girls mature earlier, that SHOULD happen every now and then, if your coach plays the best players. Also has to do with how good the local TB programs are, that's where the players learn their skills.

My .02

20 total warm bodies. 20 total in the dugout because we require varsity and jv to be together to support each other. JV plays first, unless weather looks like it may rain before the varsity game. Each has it's 9 starters, but allows subs to mix and match on their performance and opponents. Once the varsity puts a 10 spot on say a weaker school, we sub in jv for experience.

We keep the total number low, it trims the fat and helps solve the problems that some schools have with 25+ team members.

It makes it harder on the kids since the fund raising is higher per person than say 30+ players. But the team is much stronger "skill wise", 18 of the 20 have and still play TB.

We have a huge 45 school varsity tournament in a few weeks, schools from 3 states. 7 defending state champions in separate school divisions. The tournament mixes the divisions so that has no bearing. Be good to see where we fit in that mix.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I really don't see reps for starters as an issue.... How much reps do they really need, with a full fall and summer travel schedule where they supposedly really get their skills as everyone says?

Why do MBL pros take BP everyday? Don't you think there might be a good reason? IMO, I always wanted more reps against live BP to stay sharp or to fine tune timing or mechanics get there.

Jan 15, 2009
IMO during the regular season every kid on the Varsity bench that isn't fufilling an every day role is a liability. Now the every day role could be CR, DP, pinch hitter, pinch runner so I might want 2-3 kids more than the minimum 9. Any kid that sits an entire game without contributing is going to be bitter, no one gets into sports to watch, and if they are good enough to be your next best player, they should be playing JV every game to get better, not watching other girls play.

We play JV simultaneously as Varsity and at the same sites. So any kid you need as a "sub" for Varsity is 100 feet away starting on the JV team if you need them in case of injury or because someone isn't performing that day. Not uncommon to see a kid yanked(even in the middle of an at bat) from a JV game to go over to sub into a Varsity game when needed.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Is there stadium seating in the dugout? And is the seating reserved or first-come, first served LOL!

LOL, you know I never thought about it much ( until your post ) but our school dugouts are much bigger than the TB dugouts. Some in our district are twice as large, bricked and 90% of them covered and painted with school mascots.

JBG

Jul 27, 2011
Southern MD
IMO during the regular season every kid on the Varsity bench that isn't fufilling an every day role is a liability. Now the every day role could be CR, DP, pinch hitter, pinch runner so I might want 2-3 kids more than the minimum 9. Any kid that sits an entire game without contributing is going to be bitter, no one gets into sports to watch, and if they are good enough to be your next best player, they should be playing JV every game to get better, not watching other girls play.

We play JV simultaneously as Varsity and at the same sites. So any kid you need as a "sub" for Varsity is 100 feet away starting on the JV team if you need them in case of injury or because someone isn't performing that day. Not uncommon to see a kid yanked(even in the middle of an at bat) from a JV game to go over to sub into a Varsity game when needed.

Can i get you to come here and coach?? LOL

I just counted off the top of my head...16 juniors and seniors. Thats not counting the sophomore(s) who played last year (1or 2) and 1 or 2 more that perhaps should get a real hard look + 2 freshman who should get a hard look at varsity. IMO way to many kids!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26