USSSA WS or ASA Nationals?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
USSSA has its POS administrators just like every other alphabet organization. The USSSA events are usually held at Big League Dreams facilities that are FAR better than most of the piece of crap fields used by ASA and PGF. And just like ASA and PGF, USSSA has to deal with providing horrible umpires that they hire locally.

If I had to choose between ASA, PGF, and USSSA - strictly based on facilities - I would choose USSSA. JMHO.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Based on our experience at last month's USSSA WS at ESPN WWOS, be prepared for trophy chasing teams who purposefully request to be downgraded to a lower division (in this case to a C team) and then have better pitching / hitting than most A or B teams observed in the same age group. And yes, the team parents did admit that the team manager requested the change to the state director. When checking the USSSA profile for the team, they had come in second place in a tourney when playing up to next age group.

The USSSA Elite World Series is designed to compete with ASA and PGF. There is NO B-division, so you cannot accuse teams of sandbagging. This one is for the "big dogs", now the question becomes "will the big dogs show up"?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Any thoughts on Pony Nationals?

Have never played Pony Nationals, but I would lump them in with the rest of the B-level nationals - USFA, USSSA Orlando, NSA, ASA Southern/Northern/Western, PGF Platinum, World Fastpitch Connection, Triple Crown Southern/East Coast/West Coast.

Oct 4, 2014
NJ
I would consider our girls B level in all honesty. Being we are a 2nd year organization many of our girls only have 2 years of travel experience under their belts. Last year we competed in a mix of B & open tournaments we faired fairly well, 2nd place in our final tournament and never really got handled by any team except when we showed up to a tournament with 8 players and one pitcher. We did go 0-4 in War at the shore in Toms River, NJ which was billed as an A level tournament (many of the teams playing called themselves showcase) but in all games we had a chance to win and 3 out of 4 we were in the lead towards the end before the wheels came off.

My ultimate goal as an organization is to not put the girls into situations where they could be completely outclassed. I don't want to roll teams (which happened in some of the B level tourneys) but I dont want them to get rolled either.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
Have never played Pony Nationals, but I would lump them in with the rest of the B-level nationals - USFA, USSSA Orlando, NSA, ASA Southern/Northern/Western, PGF Platinum, World Fastpitch Connection, Triple Crown Southern/East Coast/West Coast.
PGF Platinum is their 2nd level, however I put them with ASA/USA Nats.

The exception on TCS regional nationals is the Western held for younger teams (12U/14U) because top teams use it as a tune-up for PGF Nats, especially the one held in San Diego.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
PGF Platinum is their 2nd level, however I put them with ASA/USA Nats.

The exception on TCS regional nationals is the Western held for younger teams (12U/14U) because top teams use it as a tune-up for PGF Nats, especially the one held in San Diego.

I am sure the ones on the West Coast are pretty competitive due to the number of good CA teams who do not qualify for PGF or TC Nationals, the East Coast events..."not so much"....

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan