USA, USA, USA!!! The ASA rebrand...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
PGF's detractors find it a bitter pill to swallow - especially in Florida because they want everyone traveling there. #jealousy

There are various levels in TB and options within each. I've consistently advocated teams first figure out where they stand in the big scheme along with their goals, budget and options before trying to put together a schedule that's appropriate for them. There is no such thing as one-schedule-fits-all-teams - even within a region.

Not a PGF detractor, it is what is is. Nothing more, nothing less. My posts were in response to the notion the PGF was somehow a threat to ASA or USSSA which of course is laughable. They put out a quality product in a small niche market. They do what they do quite well, but comparing them to ASA or USSSA is truly apples to oranges, be they from California or Florida.

Dec 19, 2012
Not a PGF detractor, it is what is is. Nothing more, nothing less. My posts were in response to the notion the PGF was somehow a threat to ASA or USSSA which of course is laughable. They put out a quality product in a small niche market. They do what they do quite well, but comparing them to ASA or USSSA is truly apples to oranges, be they from California or Florida.

PGF is less than 10 years old. Their model was to take a top-down approach. They took a huge chunk out of the ASA/USA nationals right from the start. They carved out regions, offering Futures, Showcases, Regional and National qualifiers, etc. Next will be rec leagues. Time will tell whether or not they are successful.

Oct 10, 2011
USSSA dominates the MD/DE/VA/PA area. They hold the Eastern World Series in MD. This year 14U B had over 80 teams. 12U OPEN had over 70 Teams. Their tournaments are huge and cost the most. Hard to compete with that money.
I agree and USSSA did an amazing job at the World Series.. .by contrast, ASA States was at the worst facilities I've ever seen.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mar 26, 2013
Not a PGF detractor, it is what is is. Nothing more, nothing less. My posts were in response to the notion the PGF was somehow a threat to ASA or USSSA which of course is laughable. ...
Who stated that? I must have missed that post, or perhaps you are tossing out a strawman?

The only thing PGF threatened was ASA having the highest-level national championships and PGF has been successful in getting the lion's share of the top teams. No one will get all. I expect PGF will expand modestly over time and take some business from others in the process, however I certainly don't view PGF as a big threat to any major sanction.

I rolled my eyes when I heard Hay-maker announce PGF was expanding into rec leagues a few years ago. Sure, PGF will take the business if it comes to them, but it's not worth pursuing. Rec leagues tend to stick with whichever sanction is strong in their area/region.

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
Sorry everyone, got to agree with Marriard, and Riseball. Just looking to make a buck with all of this. 99.9999% of your kids will never get the chance to try out for that 2020 team. I all acuallity it is already probably at full roster now. Just trying to cash in on the affilation. They may get coaches to come to the showcases for a week anywhere in the country. Most are paid a fee to come to draw "wannabe "showcase teams. How many times has a big time coach sat down to watch you teams play. I bet not many. Most of the heavy recruiting is done long before they come to see the kid play in person. The elite kids are well know by the elite programs. Being based in the Southeast we thought we had to go play all of the big names out West to get nationally recognized. That was a joke. Most, and I say Most Cali, and Zona teams are extreamly over rated. Honesly got tried of whipping them because they had no talent and paid to wear a name. We get better play right here in FLA. Good organizations have coaches contacting them well in advance so they can have line ups set to shorten the coaches stay at the games. Once you have thiose type of realationships with coaches you can be of benefit to your players. The organization whos rules you ar eplaying under has not outcome on your kids recruiting sucess. Again just trying to make money.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Sorry everyone, got to agree with Marriard, and Riseball. Just looking to make a buck with all of this. 99.9999% of your kids will never get the chance to try out for that 2020 team. I all acuallity it is already probably at full roster now. Just trying to cash in on the affilation.

Yeah, right. The rebranding is a follow-the-leader game for the rest of the organization since USA Softball has been around for over a decade. ASA wants to be like the other NGBs by using the 'USA' moniker. The only people directly affected will be the umpires which are the only member which will be forced to purchase specific uniforms. Sure everyone else ASA will need to purchase new propaganda and merchandise, but not mandated like the officials. For the umpires, this is the second rebranding within 5 years.

Every softball organization has been using the olympics to draw players to their game and organization since the early 90s.

They may get coaches to come to the showcases for a week anywhere in the country. Most are paid a fee to come to draw "wannabe "showcase teams. How many times has a big time coach sat down to watch you teams play. I bet not many. Most of the heavy recruiting is done long before they come to see the kid play in person. The elite kids are well know by the elite programs. Being based in the Southeast we thought we had to go play all of the big names out West to get nationally recognized. That was a joke. Most, and I say Most Cali, and Zona teams are extreamly over rated. Honesly got tried of whipping them because they had no talent and paid to wear a name. We get better play right here in FLA. Good organizations have coaches contacting them well in advance so they can have line ups set to shorten the coaches stay at the games. Once you have thiose type of realationships with coaches you can be of benefit to your players. The organization whos rules you ar eplaying under has not outcome on your kids recruiting sucess. Again just trying to make money.

Of course, the recruiting tease has always been a scam.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
Well in the great state of Minnesota the teams that went to PGF won't play ASA or USSSA. We have an 18U team here that I guarantee is the best team in the state and plays ASA and USSSA but never advertises.

Oct 2, 2015
Well in the great state of Minnesota the teams that went to PGF won't play ASA or USSSA. We have an 18U team here that I guarantee is the best team in the state and plays ASA and USSSA but never advertises.

Who's that?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01