Update on DD's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2012
DD has been working on getting her swing corrected. Would like to get some feed back on you guys thoughts.

Here is the link from past posts.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/9472-help-11-year-old-dd-swing.html

lunapic_134149702459162_7.gif

May 16, 2010
DD has been working on getting her swing corrected. Would like to get some feed back on you guys thoughts.

Here is the link from past posts.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/9472-help-11-year-old-dd-swing.html

lunapic_134149702459162_7.gif

IMO, there is a lot of improvement.

Better arm and hand position and load.
Better back leg action.
Better arm action.

But, her timing is still a bit off. She is in too much of a rush to get the hands going at the ball. They should be pulled by the rotation of the torso. Her hands, as before, are moving forward as she strides. They are moving forward before the front foot touches.
She is almost hitting the ball while the weight is still back.
Her front leg stays bent, which means she didn't push into it, and brace, and push back.

Hold the hands back even longer.

I posted this in your other thread.

ethier2.gif

Watch the timing of when the hands go forward, in relation to the back hip and the front foot.
Note how she drives into the front foot, and the hands move at front heel drop. Your DD has moved her hands forward before heel drop.

female1.gif

Your DD's movements have improved, now get them in the right sequence.

A phrase that helped my granddaughter recently is; "push and then throw." A cue we made up to remind her to push from the butt, and then throw the bat. Your DD is throwing AS she pushes. "Push then throw" is meant to get that separation people talk about between the back hip and the hands.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2012
Thanks JBooth, you have been a great source of information on getting DD's swing from where it was at to where it is now.

I like the "Push then throw" we will work on getting the swing not to start before heel plant and weight pushed to front side.

May 16, 2010
Thanks JBooth, you have been a great source of information on getting DD's swing from where it was at to where it is now.

I like the "Push then throw" we will work on getting the swing not to start before heel plant and weight pushed to front side.

Well, you don't want to consciously wait until heel plant, because then the hands would be too late.

It's like throwing a ball. You don't wait until you actually get onto the front foot before you do anything with your throwing arm. It's a rhythm and timing thing. In hitting, your hands load as your back leg pushes, and they should then unload as the front heel drops.

The "push then throw" cue assumes you loaded the hands. There is no long delay. The throw starts only an instant after you feel the back hip move. It's push the back hip, then throw. The throw will actually then happen, after the foot gets down.

In slow motion, you see the foot down before the hands move, but the brain says "throw" before the foot gets down. If you wait until the foot is down, to say "throw" the delay between when the brain says throw, and it actually happens, will be too long.

It's a flow that she must feel. The throw isn't before or with the lower half, but you don't want to wait until you have completely shifted before you throw, that would be hitting off of the front foot too much.

It's hard to teach. The best hitters just seem to be able to find the rhythm better than others. It's a flow from bottom to top.

Apr 23, 2012
DD's homerun picture!!

DD just made 11 couple of months ago smashed one over a 185ft fence this past weekend.

Proud Dad Moment!! Thanks to all of you for all your help and tips correcting her swing.. This pic is for you guys!

IMG_2109.jpg

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Congrats to your DD.I take a softball (even though not the ball)and write the date and Homerun on the ball and put on DD's trophy selve.That's why I say this site is the best.Shame none of my DD teammates parents listen to me.