upcoming H.S ball.....question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
IMHO, Sluggers is 100% right plus if your DD can spend her entire H.S. career on the varsity team I'd go for it. In H.S. varsity is really the only thing that matters, other levels are way-stops to get to varsity. Get your DD there early if you can and she'll be a leg-up. Use pitching lessons/travel ball for innings/work.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Making Varsity as a freshman is a huge deal... If the practices would be better and more productive, then I would consider having her play Varsity. However, it's really her decision and she needs to think about it. In the summer with TB, that's really when you worry about the pitching and what not. Great HS pitchers are made in travel ball, there is no doubt about that in my mind.

For the people that suggest that she could play both JV/Varsity, I don't know about the OP's suggestion, but at my HS that would be impossible. JV baseball and softball traveled together and Varsity baseball and softball traveled together. When JV was at home, Varsity was away so it would have been impossible to do both.

There's also the potential that she could play JV for the year, then get pulled up for the post season. It's something that (if she plays JV) she should talk to the coach about. My HS coach pulled up anyone she could off of JV, especially pitchers. I'd rather have four than three when you get in the post season and crazy things happen.

Dec 10, 2010
A, A
For the posters who have commented "it's her decision"......we sat down as a family and decided as a family what to do. I did not tell her this is what you will do. As much as she likes the varsity coach and players....the only thing she cares about is getting to pitch. So, she is the one that wants to play down.

She also plays 2nd base. The varsity 2nd baseman is a naturally talented senior.....so I don't expect her to get much time there.

That is all I have heard for a couple years is.....to make varsity as a freshman is a big deal. I am proud that they want her to play up.....but I still struggle with the idea of her sitting the bench for a whole season. That's no fun.

And, no...she can't play for both for those who wondered.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I'm glad you came to this decision as a family. Ultimately, It is what is best for you and yours that is the only thing that matters. If there are repercussions for the choice, then you will deal with them as a family. Ultimately, the repercussions will be a very small price to pay in the grand scheme of things...if there are any to begin with. IMO, if the HC is a quality coach, he/she will either understand your choice or he/she will give you a valid reason as to why he/she really wants DD to play up...making your choice even harder:)

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
For the posters who have commented "it's her decision"......we sat down as a family and decided as a family what to do. I did not tell her this is what you will do. As much as she likes the varsity coach and players....the only thing she cares about is getting to pitch. So, she is the one that wants to play down.
While it is her decision (and I said that), I understand the importance of having parental input/thoughts about the situation to help her chew it over.

Jun 21, 2010
While it is her decision (and I said that), I understand the importance of having parental input/thoughts about the situation to help her chew it over.

I always thought it was the HS coach's decision who plays on Varsity and who plays on JV.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I always thought it was the HS coach's decision who plays on Varsity and who plays on JV.

Well, of course. But I've never seen a kid request to play JV instead of Varsity, then was cut from JV out of spite since they wouldn't play Varsity. That would never happen. While of course it is the coach's decision, the player has some input on it as well. If she thinks she needs that year of JV, then it's something that she has to consider and something that she should talk over with the coach.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I guess I would wonder if there is a limit to the number of times a freshman can say no to the Varsity coach about coming up. Maybe a coach can understand that at the beginning a freshman might want to stay down to get acclimated, but what if he/she asks her to come up later in the season? Can you really say no? Say a #2 or #3 pitcher is injured, and the head coach wants her on the bench as insurance in case something happens with #1. She would likely sit the bench if she said yes, unless there were an injury. But if she said no, would she forever be in the dog house?

My personal feeling is, if she makes Varsity, she should play Varsity, and look for ways to get in the lineup and contribute if she is not in the circle. I don't see how it benefits a TB pitcher to play down on JV, I only see potential pitfalls down the line.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch