Uniforms with an optic yellow softball logo

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
Hi Everyone, I have an urgent question for you.

I have checked the ASA and USSSA rules and haven't been able to find any information or guidance, but we just designed a new organizational logo and it has a small optic yellow softball flying across the team name.

Is anyone aware of any written standards or anecdotal situations, or guidance? I did a google search on softball uniforms and logos and while I have seen similar situations with the softball, it is by no means the standard.

I want to make sure when we print out uniform elements we aren't forced with having to modify them to satisfy an opposing coach or over zealous umpire...

HELP!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

H-

Jul 26, 2010
Bring tape. Even if you have documentation saying they're ok, you'll still have to deal with covering them up if the umpire deems them unsafe. Most rules have the "if umpire deems unsafe" clause, which basically gives them the ability to do as they see fit.

Your best bet is to avoid using the logo. Having an extra color for just a ball is just going to cost you more for everything like stickers and t-shirts anyway.

-W

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
Bring tape. Even if you have documentation saying they're ok, you'll still have to deal with covering them up if the umpire deems them unsafe. Most rules have the "if umpire deems unsafe" clause, which basically gives them the ability to do as they see fit.

Your best bet is to avoid using the logo. Having an extra color for just a ball is just going to cost you more for everything like stickers and t-shirts anyway.

-W

Why would an umpire think they are unsafe? Anything really could be deemed a distraction. I watched a tournament where a coach who obviously had an axe to grind, requested the pitcher change her glove because it was red and blue. How far does it go? I am pleading because our logo is baked-in and to change the color of the ball would make it look like a baseball.

Jul 26, 2010
Now you're asking a psychology question pertaining to a large group of currently unknown individuals of which neither, you, I, or anyone else can answer. Do you see what you did there?

-W

Jun 22, 2008
ASA has no restrictions on the colors of uniforms. Had a team a couple years ago who showed up wearing full optic yellow uniforms and socks. The only restriction is on the glove, it may not have any colors which are the same as the ball.

Sep 11, 2013
In USSSA the rule book only states that the glove may not have optic yellow, does not say anything about the uniform color or logo or letters other than everyone's must be the same. Rule 2 Sec. 3 + 8

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
Now you're asking a psychology question pertaining to a large group of currently unknown individuals of which neither, you, I, or anyone else can answer. Do you see what you did there?

-W
;)

I agree...perhaps I was hoping an umpire would chime in and give me his opinion.

Jun 22, 2008
I did chime in and gave you an opinion. ASA does not have any restrictions on the colors of the uniform. The only restriction is on the glove.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It may be a LL rule (no softballs on the uniform.) I saw a coach contest a game because there were softballs on the socks. He lost.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I did chime in and gave you an opinion. ASA does not have any restrictions on the colors of the uniform. The only restriction is on the glove.

Doesn't the umpire have discretion though? Say you, as an umpire, had trouble initially picking up a pitched ball thrown by a pitcher w/ shorts the same color as the ball, isn't that inherently dangerous to the batter? I've seen such a situation and the umpire claimed he would've done something about it, but couldn't once the game started!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283