Unbelievable issue from Parent on team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2012
I had a girl on our team that missed 4 practices this fall then last weekend she didnt show up to a tournament because her Mom said her car broke down, we only have 10 girls on the team. We offered to send a parent 80miles from the tourney site to pick her up but her mom said she had the tire almost fixed and that she would be on her way. She never showed up. We found out this weekend that she played for another team that weekend. I questioned her Mom and she confirmed that she did indeed play with the other team and left us high and dry.
I told her that it wasnt fair to the rest of the team and we required honesty from the girls and the parents and that her DD would have to turn in her uniform and was off the team. She said that "thats OK you obviously want an all white infield anyway and that we are a bunch of racists"
We treat EVERY girl and parent with respect and dignity as we should, this comment FLOORED us!
While she was leaving we offered her $100 for the equipment she purchased with team logo and she proceeded to take the money the turn to leave and said "you aint getting nothing from me" "you never gave me no money". We called the police and filed a report for the money she took from us.
THIS IS CRAZY! Has anyone ever had anything like this happen?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We found out this weekend that she played for another team that weekend. I questioned her Mom and she confirmed that she did indeed play with the other team and left us high and dry.

You'll be so much better off slamming the door behind this mother. No matter what abilities the child has, it probably would never balance out the cost of drama that the parents weighs in.

We treat EVERY girl and parent with respect and dignity as we should, this comment FLOORED us!

On our HS team we have many groups of races ( Jewish, Italian, Indian, Latino, African, English ), but we've always had trouble with one in particular crying wolf. ( not going to revile the race out of respect for the forum ) We too treat our girls with respect, and play them according to their talents.......not what skin they have.

About mid season last year this mom complained in front of the whole team/parents, why is her DD not playing or batting when she doesn't pitch. ( we had 3 pitcher rotations ) Coach was very vocal ( because she was making a huge scene ) "because she can't play another field position and she has less than a .100 batting average". He did say, "shes a good pitcher and she pitches every third game just like my other two, but she cant hit or field so Im playing those that can in the positions". He then told mom to work on her batting and he'd be more than glad to add her in the lineup. She called him a racist and left.

Coach, it doesn't matter a hill of beans what race you are. People have and always will use that as a crutch when things don't go their way, instead of improving their own situation for the better. Good for you on calling the cops, this lady obviously has some issues. I feel sorry for the child caught in the middle.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
why did you offer her money for gear she bought? She obviously deserved to be tossed off the team so why the cash offer? It makes me wonder if there is a little more to the story.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
I am in agreement with Amy- there is not much to say about this parent- only if you read through the forum, you will find that crazy behavior is unrelated to race, religion, ethnicity, gender or even region of the country (despite what people say about the Northeast)- and in fact is not softball-specific. The list abounds with reports of parents and coaches who say and do crazy things- far more crazy than this parent. Simply chalk it up to experience.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I hesitate to comment because Amy's advise is good, but I can't resist saying this much ...

One one hand, there is no defense for any parent who lies about a flat tire and has her daughter bail on her team like that. Her credibility is shot.

On the other, talking in general terms and not about this particular team, I think it's naive to think racism does not exist in softball like anything else. Every coach claims to judge players based on performance alone. And I trust that most do. However, I've had a coach tell me once that he didn't take a particular girl on his team because he didn't think she would fit in. Actually, he told me this two different times. One girl was not the same race as the others. The other not have the same sexual orientation. These kinds of things are real, unfortunately.

Jun 13, 2012
No more to the story, we really felt bad for the little girl caught up in this, she is a sweetheart!
We know the equip could be another team member.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie