Ump wouldn't allow a timeout.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
To start, an umpire is never required to grant time out if there is even a remote chance that a play is still available anywhere on the field. Yes, the ball being in the circle will help.

HOWEVER, there are some umpires, of which I am not one, who hold the same archaic belief as some coaches that this is a "live ball" game and simply refuse to allow "time" unless absolutely necessary or dictated by rule.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I had an umpire call time last year when one of my girls was at first while the 1st baseman was tagging her with the ball. I was at 3rd and my runner on 3rd was almost half way down the line and had just started to make a dash to the plate. I went over and asked why in the world he would grant time when there are other runners on base, one of which was taking off to the plate. He admitted his error and the baserunner on 1st got reminded that she's more than capable of standing up without losing contact, or waiting till the ball is back in the circle and not to call time again.

Jun 11, 2013
In our case it was 2 umps and I'm the OP. I just think he didn't think it was needed and if she had gotten up a few inches of the bag wouldn't have called her out, but this was our 6th game of the weekend with the Plate Ump and I am 99 percent sure he would have. I just didn't want to take a chance on it and thought it was reasonable to call one there. I have never had an ump not give us time before once it was appropriate.

Dec 19, 2012
If your foot's already on the bag, just dust yourself off. No reason to ask for a timeout.

If your hand is on the bag, keep it there while placing a foot on the bag, stand straight up, and dust yourself off. No reason to call timeout.

Do this and you never have to bother the umpire.

Jun 11, 2013
Except she didn't have hand of foot on bag and was laying on it. The sides of the bags were at field level so there was nothing to stop your slide. I probably asked for time 4 times in 7 games and just didn't think it was an unreasonable request. She was able to move enough to stay on the base and get up so we moved on. I'm sorry if I bothered the umpire who was 6 feet from me to take 5 seconds so my kid could get up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes