Turning the barrel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 29, 2010
To the people

Seriously? Seriously? C'mon guys. You all know better than this, or at least you ought to.

First of all, this thread was moved to the PRACTICAL hitting forum so keep the advice practical. Start a new thread in the Technical forum if you want to talk about the technical aspects.

Secondly, all this posturing and trying to be the Big Man is getting tiresome. Deleting your posts that childishly insult one another is a giant waste of my time. I've met some pretty big-time coaches in our sport and they don't talk that way. And if anyone has earned the right to do so they have. Take a cue from them.

You'll have a lot more credibility if you treat others with respect. And you'll last longer as a member of this site. Stick to the topic, and leave your personal feelings about other members out of it.

This is fn riducalous, this is a public forum, if u can sniff thru the bs, and see what works for your dd at all levels which she will progress who is right and wrong? Name calling, back handed compliments? FU all, if your dd gets where SHE wants to go and do with her life is hers and not yours. High level or not, if her god given talents give her an advantage go with it, dont get sucked into the hype of these gurus. PM those who will give advice and what to do. Success full players get by on god given talent with inferior swing, it still as results, good luck if your dd is the one percent.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Since jbooth and a few others have asked about turning the barrel, I'm starting a new thread to help answer the question. Turning the barrel is (simply put) getting the bat from vertical to flat so the rear leg/hip drive the barrel to contact. The pressure sensation must be in the hands. However, that doesn't mean the phalanges are causing it. The direction of the barrel turn is key. It is NOT in a line with the catcher. The barrel is turned in between the backstop and the dugout behind the hitter.

Bio-mechanically, turning the barrel is applying force perpendicular to the handle. The rear humerus adducts while the lead humerus both internally rotates and abducts. The teres minor is partially responsible for the rear arm's adduction, though it's rather weak. The latissimus dorsi serves to adduct the rear arm as well, as does the teres major.

This clip of Adrian Gonzalez displays the action rather well.

I think you explain it well here, and it is explained and proven many times. I am out, before a way is found to get me suspended too.

Dec 19, 2012
Whoever made that video is correct in regard to the muscles that get activated, and the forces, but the guy in the video does not have a very good swing. MLB hitters do not put a lot of emphasis on the pull with the front arm and the push with the back. They try to keep their hands back. They activate the muscles noted, but they do not pull and push the hands out front prior to contact, as the guy in the video does.

Oh, I totally agree. The guy swinging the bat is horrible (He's some chop they grabbed for the video) and MLB hitters do keep their hands back longer.....they spin from the bottom-up, but when their arms do release they release with unbelievable power and speed. Their front arm pulls hard, their back elbow slots hard and fast (pushing on the handle to get the barrel on plane), and while the front arm is still pulling hard the back arm provides a short but hard push on the handle (what people here call the whip or push-pull), then the finish is indeed a pull through and beyond extension with the front arm. That is the anatomy and kinesiology of the launch and IMO is indisputable.

All forces of the swing are additive if you swing from the bottom-up. I think we can all agree with that.

Dec 19, 2012
He knows what he does to make what he does happen! Unless you can understand that, you will struggle.

No doubt....Bonds is one heck of a hitter. All I am saying is he cannot put correctly into words what he actually does. He says he swings down on the ball but he clearly did not. That's all I'm saying and trust me, I do not "struggle".

Dec 19, 2012
Look, I'll put it this way. The swing happens because of the kinetic chain. The rear leg turns the pelvis open but keeps the rear hip coiled. The obliques contract and pull the shoulders with them. The torso rotates, and the barrel is delivered to the ball. However, a pressure sensation in the hands has imparted some early force to the barrel. Thus, the barrel is brought around with more force than just "connecting and turning." In addition, the barrel gets "behind" the body's rotation, allowing it to whip.

There are a lot of compound movements and many, many differing opinions as to what joint articulations occur. JB believes it's ER and abduction. Tom Guerry believes it's IR and the use of the spine engine. I haven't truly studied biomechanics enough to formulate an opinion. With regard to biomechanics, I'm ignorant. That's why I don't go around correcting JB or Tom when either one describes the biomechanics of the swing.

Personally, as long as I can hit the ball hard, it doesn't really matter what I perceive the biomechanics to be. Harmon Killebrew was an Idaho farmboy. He didn't know the first thing about biomechanics. He hit the ball hard.

I'll tell you this: the biomechanics described in that video may be correct. They may be incorrect. However, the demonstrated swing is a poor one, at best.

I understand and agree with the underlying message of this post. If you can hit the ball hard perception doesn't really matter. All I did was provide evidence of the muscles and actions at work during a launch. There is so much more to a swing.

Dec 19, 2012
You wanted to know what I thought bat wrap was? I will show you wrap and drag in the same clip. Go to the 40 sec mark of your You Tube clip. You will get wrap and drag.
I don't care what the hitter in the clip is doing...he is an actor. I care more about what is being said in the clip. That is where the information lies......

Dec 19, 2012
This is fn riducalous, this is a public forum, if u can sniff thru the bs, and see what works for your dd at all levels which she will progress who is right and wrong? Name calling, back handed compliments? FU all, if your dd gets where SHE wants to go and do with her life is hers and not yours. High level or not, if her god given talents give her an advantage go with it, dont get sucked into the hype of these gurus. PM those who will give advice and what to do. Success full players get by on god given talent with inferior swing, it still as results, good luck if your dd is the one percent.

I totally agree with you but were the "fn's" and "FU's" necessary?.....lol....seriously, I totally agree with you.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I totally agree with you but were the "fn's" and "FU's" necessary?.....lol....seriously, I totally agree with you.

And just one last from me...Though it may seem like with some of us, and I know I post some daggers, I am not "fired up"...and I don't think most of the others are either...I don't hate Len, J, and etc...Ken had said back in 2010 (these things have been going on forever) "if 2 people have the same idea in a discussion/debate, 1 of them isn't needed."

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009

In the words of Patrick Star and Spongebob Squarepants, "That's one of those sentence enhancers"

"Oh! Hello Patrick, lovely %^#€ day we're having, isn't it?"
"Pretty *#$&in good Spongebob."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell