Tunnel or Cage

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
We say batting cages for the facility, and tunnel for the 'lane.' When you have coin-op (some are even outdoors!), we just say cages. When they are on the side of the field, we say cage.

Same here. Our local place has coin op cages and then individual tunnels that are numbered. The tunnels can be adjusted by sliding the nets back and forth to create larger or smaller spaces, so you can rent tunnel 1, or 1 & 2 and so on.

Nov 18, 2013
Two different things here. Cages are fenced with often with fixed pitching machines and tunnels are nets used for pitching and soft toss.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
To me a batting cage is a set up where you go to practice batting. A tunnel is multi functional you can use a pitching machine and practice hitting, or you can move the pitching machine and practice pitching, and/or catching, or raise the nets and open up 2 tunnels and work on fielding...

A cage is typically fence and a tunnel is typically netting. At least thats how I have always thought of them.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I see both used here in Illinois on websites that rent them. Of course, that could just reflect the place where the person who owns them grew up.

Myself, I say batting cage or cage.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
In Indiana, we call it a cage... the only time I'd heard the term "tunnel" used is when I was shopping for a cage, but kept finding tunnels for sale! lol

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The Cage is a cage! A fence.

A tunnel or a lane is with a net. Usually refered to as a lane when you use it for pitching! There is no maybe about it

Now the real question is which is better? Thats my question!

IMO, grinders and soda taste best after a round of BP in a netted cage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00