Tryouts: Cattle Call vs. Private?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
I'm curious too. I didn't realize they charged at all so I have no idea how much it is. I hope someone knows. Though I suppose if they're going to do that this year they'll be posting about it soon enough.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
If it's the "big 3" then most likely the teams will be 90-95% filled by the time the organizational tryout occurs, unless they are adding additional teams in an age group. Usually they are looking for that one stud who moved into town, or someone who lives out of the area but has decided to test the waters, or someone who was playing B/C/Rec ball who decided to branch out and is just naturally talented. But they are also looking to expand their "call up list" for lack of a better term. The tryout may not get you a spot on the team right away to start the year, but puts you on the radar should something happen like injury or players quit, or they need a pick up player. If you are a solid player the coaches will talk to you, make sure they know who you are, how to get in touch, tell you to keep working, and keep you in mind should something open up.

EDIT: Just saw the announcement. One big name local name is missing, but they are also the only ones that charge a fee to tryout. We have always steered clear of them. Also, there are plenty of other names in GA aside from these teams that will have tryouts as well.

You are correct about teams being filled before tryouts. Our team would hold then yearly but the ones you really wanted were already committed. You would always hold them hoping that one or two good additions would show up.

On the other hand the couple of tryouts she has attended have pretty much been for "show". We knew we had an offer and went to tryouts so they could say we tried out and made the team to eliminate any drama. This is typically how it works.

Mar 1, 2015
I'm curious too. I didn't realize they charged at all so I have no idea how much it is. I hope someone knows. Though I suppose if they're going to do that this year they'll be posting about it soon enough.

Clear your PM box - it's full. I'll send you a PM with info.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In the past I have seen some coaches of the Big-3 actually publish lists of what they are looking for and positions that should not bother showing up....

Feb 7, 2014
In the past I have seen some coaches of the Big-3 actually publish lists of what they are looking for and positions that should not bother showing up....

I appreciate the honesty... as someone that's been told your DD has a shot only to 'ride the pine.'

Saves time and money.

Jun 12, 2015

And there's one that always posts they need a short stop or a 50+ mph pitcher. Never anything else. My guess is, you know a true short stop is athletic and you can use them other places on the field if you need to. Keep getting short stops then putting them wherever you want to once you get them on the team. I don't know that for a fact, that's just my guess.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I saw the same post and it was rather interesting that they would do this and honestly I wouldn't bother with it. If you are considering it, you need to clarify the age group because for instance I am pretty sure the 12U tryouts are for the 05 teams. The 2nd yr '04 teams will be filled prior to this, a lot of back door deals will be made and girls going to privates. I can tell you that we have been approached by several large orgs and this is without me contacting anyone on these teams so this is why I am saying these back door deals are happening. I would also keep in mind that if you try to take your kid to 2 of these in 1 day, it must mean you hate her or you are trying to kill her. I am 100% certain my kid would never talk to me again if I did that to her.

First year of 14U for us ('03).

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
I don't frequent this forum much but I admit this thread caught my attention. I will say up front that I coach travel ball in Georgia, and have for several years. At one time I coached with a major Georgia organization that charged for tryouts. Now I am with one of the clubs that is part of the group referenced by the OP. There are a lot of issues here and I may miss some, but let me address a couple.

First, unlike most states Georgia plays high school ball in the Fall, and most HS teams will start unofficial practices in July and official practices August 1st. Most high school also form middle school teams of girls who live in their district. Therefore weekday tryouts are impossible. Many schools will play games on Saturday too. So travel clubs have no time after Nationals to conduct tryout other than Sundays. Over the years there has been a lot of conflicts for parents and girls who want to explore options with multiple clubs. It results in each club scheduling multiple dates and girls spending multiple Sundays driving all around the city of Atlanta. This arrangement allows the process to be streamlined. The tryouts are 2-3 hours long with at least an hour travel between tryouts. That's a lot less time on the field then the girls will spend on the field in many tournaments. They do not have to attend all the tryouts, but if they don't because it's "too much", well then travel ball might not be the right call anyway.

Will the teams have players in place? Absolutely, but almost every coach posts his email and cell phone. If a parent wants to know if the coach will consider their child they can ask. Will there be some games played by the coaches? Yes. And get what? The parents and girls play the game for themselves as well. It's just the way it goes. Also, I can speak for myself as well as many of the coaches in all 3 of these organizations...if you try out and don't make the team, many of them can give you leads on teams that will be good fits for the girls. Most coaches really are in it for the girls and know that what goes around comes around so they try to be helpful when they can.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this process, feel free to PM me here or on the Georgia Coaches Corner. I'm happy to share any information I can.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I don't frequent this forum much but I admit this thread caught my attention. I will say up front that I coach travel ball in Georgia, and have for several years. At one time I coached with a major Georgia organization that charged for tryouts. Now I am with one of the clubs that is part of the group referenced by the OP. There are a lot of issues here and I may miss some, but let me address a couple.

First, unlike most states Georgia plays high school ball in the Fall, and most HS teams will start unofficial practices in July and official practices August 1st. Most high school also form middle school teams of girls who live in their district. Therefore weekday tryouts are impossible. Many schools will play games on Saturday too. So travel clubs have no time after Nationals to conduct tryout other than Sundays. Over the years there has been a lot of conflicts for parents and girls who want to explore options with multiple clubs. It results in each club scheduling multiple dates and girls spending multiple Sundays driving all around the city of Atlanta. This arrangement allows the process to be streamlined. The tryouts are 2-3 hours long with at least an hour travel between tryouts. That's a lot less time on the field then the girls will spend on the field in many tournaments. They do not have to attend all the tryouts, but if they don't because it's "too much", well then travel ball might not be the right call anyway.

Will the teams have players in place? Absolutely, but almost every coach posts his email and cell phone. If a parent wants to know if the coach will consider their child they can ask. Will there be some games played by the coaches? Yes. And get what? The parents and girls play the game for themselves as well. It's just the way it goes. Also, I can speak for myself as well as many of the coaches in all 3 of these organizations...if you try out and don't make the team, many of them can give you leads on teams that will be good fits for the girls. Most coaches really are in it for the girls and know that what goes around comes around so they try to be helpful when they can.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this process, feel free to PM me here or on the Georgia Coaches Corner. I'm happy to share any information I can.

Thanks for this info. I am the OP and I was just curious because I've never seen this sort of thing before. We are intending to attend and just see what happens. We would be moving from B to A if everything works out, but definitely don't take anything for granted. I think the experience will be good for my DD regardless of outcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie