Trying to help daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 3, 2013
Was looking for some feedback on where my 10 year old daughter is right now and any major concerns you see that we need to work on. She has just recovered from a broken leg so she is pretty rusty and inconsistent but has shown in the few games she has thrown in the last few weeks to actually be closer than I thought she would be. Any advise would be helpful.

IMG 03541 - YouTube

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I have a 10U DD that pitches too...this one isn't mine but look at the right leg in comparison to the freeze frame of your DD

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n500/rramelli/Defense/FicoG.gif

leg.jpg

To me her upper body is in a great spot...nice hook, elbow raised\humeral head engaged, shoulders open...ball up at 9...NICE!

Lower body needs some work which is perfectly understandable given she's coming back from a broken leg and the resultant muscle imbalances.

Take a look at the drive mechanics sticky...it will add speed and consistency...and help you understand the push from the plate...

Overall, she looks great....nice job Dad!

CP

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Attached are some captures of your DD at release.

First, it is obvious that her upper body is slightly too far forward. It is almost over her left foot. Her upper body needs to be in the middle of her legs. She needs to do lots and lots of "walk throughs".

Second, she is lacking "brush resistance". Notice the position of her right leg. Do you see how far to the left her right foot has ended up? Also, in the next picture, the ball is several inches away from her hips. She is kicking her right foot to the left to allow the ball to stay away from her hips.

Now, look at Ueno and Osterman. Notice the position of the arm relative to the hip. The arm actually brushes the hip prior to release. You can pick any pitcher from the NCAA WCWS if you wish, and you will always see the arm brushing the hip prior to release.

She needs to work on getting the ball closer to the hips prior to release.

strike-both.jpg

Attachments

• osterman-release.JPG
    osterman-release.JPG
    2.9 KB · Views: 169
  • ueno-release.JPG
    ueno-release.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 167

KDD

May 10, 2010
Ray,what drills do you use to keep her from kicking her right foot to the left? Is this caused from getting to far out over the front foot?
Attached are some captures of your DD at release.

First, it is obvious that her upper body is slightly too far forward. It is almost over her left foot. Her upper body needs to be in the middle of her legs. She needs to do lots and lots of "walk throughs".

Second, she is lacking "brush resistance". Notice the position of her right leg. Do you see how far to the left her right foot has ended up? Also, in the next picture, the ball is several inches away from her hips. She is kicking her right foot to the left to allow the ball to stay away from her hips.

Now, look at Ueno and Osterman. Notice the position of the arm relative to the hip. The arm actually brushes the hip prior to release. You can pick any pitcher from the NCAA WCWS if you wish, and you will always see the arm brushing the hip prior to release.

She needs to work on getting the ball closer to the hips prior to release.

View attachment 5933

Apr 3, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions. And I was going to also ask about a drill or a thought to keep the right leg from going to far left. Or will emphasizing brushing your arm on the leg help correct that? We worked some this morning to emphasis the arm brushing the leg. When it she did it or was close the control was much better. But on video still see too big of a gap. Proud of the work she has put in since recovery and being released 2 1/2 weeks ago. Missing nearly the whole season has really put ball in perspective for her. Got up at 6 am this morning to work on her pitching since she is at an evening camp every night this week.

IMG 03602 - YouTube

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Come to Tucson, on vacation. I would love to work with this girl. I bet she is throwing a ton of velocity and it is only going to get better. You have been given a lot to work on and I will add one more. Have her stride out purposefully to her left toe. I could only see it once, but I think she is landing on her heal.

She is much too tight across the shoulders. Dip the right shoulder and release and relax. Do not pull the arm up tight, after release. Work on a lot of long toss, underhand.

Apr 3, 2013
Thanks for the offer Amy!! Wish there was someone down here in Mississippi to help with her. We have been going at it alone mostly. (4 total lessons with two different coaches) The few that come recommended or have a good reputation (and charge like it) seem to all teach the same thing. Start with wrist flips, ball pointing to second at 12, etc. I am trying to learn and incorporate it the best I can. We just added trying to get the arm brush today and she got it at times and could see a difference. Definitely will add the others advise as well. Just want help her to achieve what she says is her dream right now.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Start with wrist flips, ball pointing to second at 12, etc. I am trying to learn and incorporate it the best I can.

Sorry, but all of that is wrong. This is Ueno (best pitcher in the world) at 12. The ball is facing 3B at 12, not 2B.

If you want to do this on your own, spend $70 and get these two Bill Hillhouse DVDs:

(1) "Building the House".
(2) "Tricks of the Trade".

Softball Pitching DVD Video Series

You will save a lot of money and time.

Ray,what drills do you use to keep her from kicking her right foot to the left? Is this caused from getting to far out over the front foot?

It is real easy to fix this...you need to have your DD start "brushing" the front side of her hip with her arm prior to release. In order for her brush her arm against the front side of her hip, she has to straighten her body.

If your DD has whip, the elbow "leads" the hand from 12 to 6. At 6, the hand catches up with the elbow, and then the hand leads the elbow during the follow through. So, around 7 is when the elbow brushes the front part of the hip.

Rick Pauly brought this up a few years ago. I watched lots and lots of videos, and I found that Rick is *absolutely, 100%* correct...high level pitchers consistently brush their arm against the hip.

Attachments

• ueno-12.JPG
    ueno-12.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 58
Nov 3, 2012
Thanks for the offer Amy!! Wish there was someone down here in Mississippi to help with her. We have been going at it alone mostly. (4 total lessons with two different coaches) The few that come recommended or have a good reputation (and charge like it) seem to all teach the same thing. Start with wrist flips, ball pointing to second at 12, etc. I am trying to learn and incorporate it the best I can. We just added trying to get the arm brush today and she got it at times and could see a difference. Definitely will add the others advise as well. Just want help her to achieve what she says is her dream right now.

Strike,

Sluggers is right on ball facing 3B at 12. Just find some side views pic/videos in the model pitchers thread to prove it. Also IMO, I hate wrist flips. I'll reference/parahprase Bill Hillhouse on this one. What does the wrist flip do? The wrist snap is just one aspect of the dynamic arm whip motion. Always should do drills that incorporate the whole arm motion, including shoulder, elbow, wrist and fingers.

Not saying the two pitching coaches you used don't know what they're doing. Just a couple of red flags. Just keep educating yourself for quality control and don't be afraid to ask the pitching coaches why they are doing something? Sluggers has a good idea on the Hillhouse videos. The cost is just a drop in the bucket considering the time money you're going to invest in your DD pitching.

The best thing to do is to get the mechanics right from the beginning, because it can be tough to unlearn bad mechanics once the muscle memory is ingrained.

Apr 3, 2013
Sluggers, sorry should have clarified but that is what is being taught by the local coaches. That's why we are having to go at it on our own as that is what they are all teaching down here. At least the ones I can find. Not to mention the helpful advise I get from the parents of their daughters who are having success right now. We started that way but I knew something was not right because of my own background. Use to play a lot of baseball and golf but because I was never very athletic, had to really work at it, so I started studying technique and fundamentals probably a bit more than some when I played. Very much believe in looking at what the best are doing and trying to implement what I would call the "must do's". Not style but if 99% of the top players are in a certain position then that is a position you need to be in at certain points of the athletic move. This is foreign to me though that's why I do want the help because there are sooo many things you can still miss. We have already started to incorporate the brush with every underhanded throw she makes. Even when she walks around the house making fake pitches. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors