Trying to figure it out..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2015
My daughter is at PGF this week.. The school she wants to attend is out there and they contacted her TB coach and said they would be out to watch her play on Sunday, but never showed up yesterday.

Here's a bit of background. They have seen her play at another showcase, where she showed very well. She's been to the campus for a camp and they gave her a tour. After the camp they told her they want her to work on her curve ball and to send them video of her progress every two weeks, which she has. Her curve is looking wicked. :D They want to know that she really wants to go there and she has stated that in all her emails.

My thoughts are that they like her, but they want to see what their other options are. When she was at their camp in early June they were just starting to look at 2018's.

Is it a bad sign they didn't show up? This recruiting business is enough to make a parent go batty!! :D

We aren't putting our eggs in one basket..My daughter has had a lot of coaches interested in her, but she really wants to go to a certain school.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Is it a bad sign they didn't show up?

Probably not... you can't read people's minds (especially if they weren't there) and it is a big event with lots of things going on. Could be they spent more time with another potential then they expected, couldn't find the field, misjudged travel time, were not even there or whatever. Things happen and they have clearly seen your DD play before so they have a good idea of what she is already.

You keep doing what you have been doing - keep the grind going. Send an email saying how you did at PGF, that you were hoping to get a chance to see them there and hope to see them at an upcoming event such as XXXX. Then focus on restating that they are the school you really want to attend and that you are continuing to work on the things discussed last time (which is going real well).

This recruiting business is enough to make a parent go batty!! :D

Yes it is.

Jun 11, 2012
How do you know they didn't show? The reason I ask is because there is a coach who has been to watch DD 4 times now and none of our coaches or parent reps have ever talked to him or seen him. We know he's been there because he emails her after the game and talks about what she did that he liked. Some coaches don't identify themselves or watch from further away because they don't want to be approached by a million people when they are there to watch a particular kid.

And yes I agree that the recruiting process is enought to drive a parent nuts!!

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
murph has a valid point. Sometimes coaches like to watch from an adjacent field or other
inconspicuous place. Have DD send an email letting coach know how she did at tournament.

DON'T STRESS.... it is more like 'enjoy the ride' this is a very exciting time for the recruit and family,
have some fun-things have a way of working out.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
First, how do you know that they weren't there? I've seen coaches stand in one place and try to watch a couple of diamonds at the same time. Sundays are a tough because my experience is that few college coaches are in attendance at these various events past noon. In fact, few are there on Sunday. Finally, never put all of your eggs in one basket until you have a commitment from that school AND you are positive your dd is going to sign that NLI. I've seen things change on NLI signing day.

Mar 26, 2013
Sundays are a tough because my experience is that few college coaches are in attendance at these various events past noon. In fact, few are there on Sunday.
Yesterday at PGF was different than most Sundays because it was the first day of pool games for 14U/16U.

If the school is D-I, they may have run out of eval days. If so, they got a fresh set of 50 today, however they may not use any today because of the abbreviated schedule due to opening ceremonies this afternoon/evening.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors