Travel Ball: Sick of other Parents & the Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I like all the parents and coaches on my dds TB team. By the end of the long season I am sick and tired of all of them. Then 2 weeks after the season ends I'm missing hanging out with them.

Jun 24, 2013
Life also can teach this lesson:

If you step into a steaming pile and you see nothing put steaming piles ahead of you, you don't continue down that path, just because you started on that path. If it becomes toxic enough, you get out.

I too have been in your shoes as a parent w/coaching experience that could see that the coach was a complete softball moron. He hid behind his reputation as a "great" coach because he led one season of undefeated play in rec, mainly due to the fact that his 2 DD's could throw consistently in the 30-40's and down the middle and most of the rec girls were afraid of them. So he started his TB team and played in C level tourneys racking up a few wins, but losing badly anytime he stepped up to B level competition. So he only played C level tourneys. After we joined him, we easily saw how bad it was. Even his AC's were questioning his judgment. Once any P on the team outperformed his DD's they were effectively benched or brought in for the last inning of a pool game. All meaningful games went to his DD's (he had 3) or the one AC who was very loyal to him (and whose DD also got the other mound time). I was definitely not going to stay around for a full season of that as I knew from talking to other parents that it wasn't going to get better. I found out later that a lot of P's had come and gone after getting tired of the same routine.

If it is as toxic as you describe, get out.

Jun 7, 2013
I agree about avoiding the toxic situations. I had a coach totally shutdown my oldest DD pitching career, in favor of his daughter's, when she was in 5th grade rec. Fortunately, he moved on to travel and the next year she lit up the rec league with her pitching and hitting. Then we decide to move her into travel and, guess what, he's the "A" team coach. Of course, my daughter has never made an "A" team in that organization but she does quite well on the high school team. In fact, the high school team doesn't even pitch his daughter and so she quit the team this year.

My youngest daughter is also having trouble making the "A" team in this organization. Again she does quite well on the high school team but cannot make the "A" team. Although she's playing 12U "B" she pitches and plays for her older sister's 16U "B" team. Go figure.

When tryouts come up in August we're not sure what we're going to do, but we know that we're fed up with these coaches and need to avoid them like the plague.

Jul 2, 2013
I agree about avoiding the toxic situations. I had a coach totally shutdown my oldest DD pitching career, in favor of his daughter's, when she was in 5th grade rec. Fortunately, he moved on to travel and the next year she lit up the rec league with her pitching and hitting. Then we decide to move her into travel and, guess what, he's the "A" team coach. Of course, my daughter has never made an "A" team in that organization but she does quite well on the high school team. In fact, the high school team doesn't even pitch his daughter and so she quit the team this year.

My youngest daughter is also having trouble making the "A" team in this organization. Again she does quite well on the high school team but cannot make the "A" team. Although she's playing 12U "B" she pitches and plays for her older sister's 16U "B" team. Go figure.

When tryouts come up in August we're not sure what we're going to do, but we know that we're fed up with these coaches and need to avoid them like the plague.

Love it. Stay with the high school team. Find a travel team which gives you the most repetitions. Stay away from the local 'A' team coach. he will never give you a fair shot, based on this story.

Jun 7, 2013
Love it. Stay with the high school team. Find a travel team which gives you the most repetitions. Stay away from the local 'A' team coach. he will never give you a fair shot, based on this story.

This is good advice. However, I talked to my daughters last night and they would prefer to stay within the local organization because of friends, mostly, and not wanting the inconvenience of playing elsewhere. So, we'll see what happens, I guess.

Dec 9, 2011
Get a chair - get a small cooler - sit in the outfield and shut up. Sorry but the entire post from the way I read it is about you. No wonder he doesn't want to talk to you. Shoot I couldn't finish reading the entire post without thinking about not wanting to talk to you.

Jun 1, 2013
Seems as if you expect something from the coach for your efforts. Whether it be recognition for your contributions, a special seat in the dugout, or maybe just a little more respect and/or gratitude for you organizing everything. You wanted a ballteam for your daughter, you have one. Step away for a bit and let her play without your comments and your attitude and see how she likes it. I do think the coach has outplayed you. He has minimized your role/standing with the other parents and players you organized. That is your fault though because you gave him the ammunition. Sounds like you are "that" parent to me and he has taken steps to minimize the damage you will cause when he kicks you or when you leave. IMO, you should step away and let her finish the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfpsoftball1028