Tournament help needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2015
Olathe, KS
I agree with BMAKJ. Run a tournament for the rec teams, but I would add that mid-tournament invite in two high level comp teams to run a exhibition game on one of the fields when most of the rec teams are on site on Saturday . See if the coaches from the Comp teams would let some of the girls from the rec age group be courtesy runners for the pitchers and catchers via a raffle open to the rec age group players that the comp teams are. I would recommend 14U comp teams as they will be about the average age for rec attendees. The rec teams would get tournament experience, you would get experience running a tournament, and the girls get to see an exhibition game. Win, Win, Win

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Not sure I'm being clear: the idea of the tournament is not for the rec teams to play in or learn about tournaments, it's to show the rec players and families that there's more than rec available, like playing on one of our Select teams. The tournament could be considered a showcase for the rec families. Trying to have our rec teams play a tournament in May is a non-starter. In July we hold end of season tournaments for them, but on May 21 they'd have had 8-10 practices total for 90 minutes each IF the weather cooperates.

I don't expect 700 families to hang around and watch the tourney games. I just want the girls who might consider moving up to see what it looks like. If I had to guess I'd say probably 90% of our families and players don't even know there's an option to move up in talent. The league does a terrible job of promoting our Select teams. We've put their schedules out, but their league games usually conflict with our league games. With the teams there for opening day/pics we have a somewhat captive audience: they're already at the diamond, the tourney atmosphere is humming all around them, and we make sure they know that our teams are playing.

Maybe we don't do any sort of opening day ceremonies (which would make me sad, but it's not about me) and just schedule pics throughout the day. That way we don't have too many families there at once.

Aug 12, 2014
Not sure I'm being clear: the idea of the tournament is not for the rec teams to play in or learn about tournaments, it's to show the rec players and families that there's more than rec available, like playing on one of our Select teams.

If this is your intent, then just have two select teams play an exhibition instead of trying to do a whole tourney. Make it a part of the opening day ceremonies.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
If this is your intent, then just have two select teams play an exhibition instead of trying to do a whole tourney. Make it a part of the opening day ceremonies.

I thought about that, but our Select Commish likes the idea of the tourney, and I like the idea of making some money for the league lol! Plus, if I schedule the pics in waves it'll be better to have games happening throughout.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles