Tournament during NCAA 'dead' period - D1 can't be there, right?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
What's the purpose of a dead period? It is to give the coaches a break from recruiting? Give Recruits time to regroup? I can't seem to find any information anywhere explaining the purpose of the dead period. I'm more curious than anything else. Thanks.

Just a guess here. Don't really know but, if a DI school was at the WCWS playing and another school was not, wouldn't they have an advantage on recruitment at showcases.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I was at a showcase this weekend. D1 coaches all around. Not sure about the blackout dates. Maybe it is just during the WCWS???

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
We are playing a showcase this weekend in PA and there's only D2 & D3 attending. We actually had a coach this past weekend come watch two of our games which was a surprise considering it wasn't a showcase.

Jun 17, 2014
Yes, the blackout dates correspond closely to the WCWS, and is slated to end June 9 but even states *Note: If the Women's College World Series Championship ends after two games, the dead period ends on June 8 at noon.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Thanks for the information. DD's team is scheduled for a showcase this weekend, I was unaware that DI coaches could not watch games during the dead period. Hopefully we'll see some DII and DIII coaches there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi