Tough situation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 22, 2012
Not sure if I should post or not, but against my better judgment here it goes....

Short story is my DD's High School coach was just fired 9 days before first game.

HS hired DD's EX-travel ball coach.

DD and DW are in a panic.

This is too much drama to not have taken the field yet.

Apr 22, 2012
Seriously, the fired coach has such a love of the game and for each and every girl on the team. He is devistated. My DD has learned so much from him over the past 2 years, and he was completely blindsided.

I'm not going to say that he didn't have his faults also, but this will be hard for the team to overcome this year.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I understand. But having been around sports for decades, here is my 2 cents. If the parents do not make a thing of this, the kids won't either. If one of the team members wants to pursue the reasons the guy was let go, I would support her. My sympathies to the former coach. I always wondered what would happen in a case like this - if no one showed for practice?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Not enough information. Why was HC fired? What concerns do you have about the new coach? Why are DD and DW in a panic? Is it a legitimate concern, or are they feeding off each other?

My DD found out just days before middle school tryouts this year that the old HC was taking a job at a high school. DD was in a panic for a while b/c she really liked that HC, but she was appeased when the new coach talked to the team at tryouts. But DW and I were not caught up in the panic of that. Panic seems like an overreaction to such a thing, but I don't know the details.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2012
I'm not going to bash on the new guy on a public forum. This is more about the loss of someone my daughter has looked up to as a teacher of the game, and someone that has an interest in watching her develop as a player.

Just a lesson on politics at a early age for DD.

Nov 17, 2010
Think of it as an opportunity for the players to deal with an issue such as this in preparation for the future.

It will happen as an adult. A boss or manager might leave in the middle of a big project or a professor might take a leave of absence in the middle of a semester.

Being able to deal with something like this in the future is worth a less than successful season in high school softball.

Feb 7, 2014
If there's no moral or legal issues with the coach I would be very curious of the athletic director's timing. Life happens... but 9 days ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877