too few players or too many teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My dd was willing to give up innings to further improve our team. We couldn't get our top pitching recruit because they wanted more than 33% of the innings. Maybe not unreasonable, but she is now the pitching star of an inferior team vs. being on a team where she would be one of three talented pitchers and many talented players.

You say ''too many kids'' are making decisions like this. Why is it wrong that kids are making the decision to find teams where they pitch 80 percent of the innings vs. 33 percent?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Fall is the biggest open season for players. Teams are trying to dump those who didn't perform during the summer, and sign ones they've seen ( vs) who showed signs of brilliance. And like previously stated, some are looking for greener pastures.

Pitching is always on the docket. Especially 12-14ish, early bloomers who got the job done before "might" be losing the edge to those who are now physically maturing. ( same can be applied to position players )

Hitters. Those talents must be able to keep up with the advances and progression of the pitching. Some can, some can't.

I was always a little "buyer be aware" of the ads. If you're a good player, you'll never need to even look. If you're a good team/coach, you'll never need to apply for players. "They" will come to you in one way or another.

Because too many parents want their kid to be the star. And if she's not willing to work for it and earn it, you just start your own team.

This is really the problem with a lot of the teams now days. There were times when my kid sat the bench while coaches kids and friends played even though they never worked on their games while my kid busted her tail to get better every day. i told her the other day that hard work pays off because all of the kids she used to play with have either quit the game or aren't good enough to make a team now there in the older ages.

Nov 27, 2010
You say ''too many kids'' are making decisions like this. Why is it wrong that kids are making the decision to find teams where they pitch 80 percent of the innings vs. 33 percent?

That's a personal choice. I offered it as an example to the OP as to why there are so many teams. I guess there is nothing wrong [[/I] with it, its just not a choice I would advise my daughter to make. I teach versatility for my DD. Pitching 80% of the innings would not allow her to work on her 1b or OF skills. To me, it also limits the teams potential for success to rely that much on one arm. What if she gets injured? Plus top teams will typically figure out a pitcher the 2nd or 3rd time through the order. 80% to me is way more than what is healthy, especially on 95 degree, 80% humidity days in a MN July (No, it's not always 20 below up here:)

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
There are many factors. More kids wanting to play at a higher level. Even C level ball is higher than many smaller community Rec programs. Families who played FP now having kids and introducing them to the sport only to realize how much fun it was to play TB as opposed to Rec Ball as they get older. Of course there is the Daddy Ball Factor. However, in my area even the "elite" teams are Daddy Ball and they too are seeking players all the time like everyone else. Difference is: Name Brand Organizations can more easily replace players then a smaller lesser known team. Funny thing is that while so many claim to hate Daddy Ball. I see a TON of elite level players at higher ages who were coached by their Dad at some point. I suppose I am saying we should try to be positive. Too much of our sport is rooted in volunteer coaching. If we eliminate this we eliminate more players seeing more playing time and practice reps due to less teams and families ability to afford higher fees. We thus reduce competition and therefore reduce overall skill and ability. We eliminate places like DFP because there are so few of us interested due to lack of involvement. Bottom line, volunteers are the spirit of sport no matter which one. I would agree there are far too many teams then developed pitchers but I think this will eventually balance out as more come to the sport. or maybe not...m2c

Apr 16, 2013
Too many daddy-ball teams and not enough paid coaches.

I sure hope you didn't type that with a straight face. :rolleyes:

We had one team here leave the coach and go for a paid coach. So far this year... yeah, they still stink. The best teams in this state are still run by daddy. "Daddy ball" to me doesn't have anything to do with the father running the team. I've seen lots of great teams run well and fairly by a "daddy". (This is coming from a parent, I'm not a coach.)

Jun 24, 2013
Daddyball is best described as when the DD of the HC (or AC's) is not at the playing level of other girls on the team but still gets playing time ahead of girls with better skills. It is usually confirmed by multiple parents asking "WTF???" when said DD gets inserted into the lineup and performs poorly.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I always read/hear about the daddy ball issue. I am part of this "SO CALLED DADDY BALL". I don't see an issue with it, people who tend to have an issue with it around my area can't accept that the coaches DD is better at a particular position than their DD. While i understand this isn't always the case it is at times. Also Mr. Finch the father of some girl named Jenny or Jennie i guess she played on the U.S.A. team coached his DD. Seems to have worked out. But to refer to the original post i think the issues are.

1. Too many "NEW" teams in cities that already have multiple teams
2. Parents who get excited by the letter after the age group. People take their DD to the "A" team because it's "A" not because it's necessarily better
3. Too few "Impact players". This is because coaches are concerned with "WINS" over "COACHING"

Just some things i've seen in my very limited time.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
This is not daddy ball, IMO -

- Being the coach of your daughter's team.
- Keeping your daughter on your team when there are better players trying out.
- Building the goals of the team around your daughter's goals as long as you are open to the parents about what the team's goals are.

This is daddy ball, IMO -

- Playing your daughter at a position that she has not earned, or higher in the batting order than she deserves, or giving her the benefit of the doubt when things are equal.
- Not taking players on the team that would benefit the team as a whole but mean less pitching time or shortstop time for DD.

Apr 1, 2010

I agree. I would recommend that a pitcher choose the 80% team over the 33% team. My DD catches and she would not be happy with only 33%. IMO developing battery players need lots of playing time at those positions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00