Too early to reach out to Ivies and D3?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
2 cents - been there

I figured I'd give you another opinion to consider, having been through what you are talking about recently.

The single most important factor your DD needs to consider is this: Is this school where I want to be for 4 years, regardless of softball? While you are going to have to adapt based on acceptances, never lose site of this fact - she needs to like the SCHOOL first.

You got some great advice from GM and sluggers. Cast a wide net since her feelings may change over the next 3 years.

Just for perspective, my daughter applied to several top D3 academic schools as well as some Ivies. Obviously we visited way more than she applied to - or would have been accepted to. Make visiting campuses a part of your plans over the next couple of years. We eliminated several schools because DD decided they were not right for her after visiting. Does your DD care about setting (rural, urban, etc,)? Does she need a particular major? How structured a curriculum does she want? (ex. Columbia has "The Core"). How far from home?

Also, realize that these schools don't make "verbals" like bigger schools, though by junior year they can give you an idea if they are interested. As a pitcher your DD should be ok, because almost any school will want at least one pitcher per year. However, most of these schools can't take more than that 1 per year, so if someone else is on their radar, you may lose out.

Look at the coaching tenure, but realize that at this point there is a significant chance the coach you are talking to won't be there by your DD's freshman year in college, and and even smaller chance of being there when she's a senior.

My last thought, NEVER GIVE UP, my DD wound up deciding between a great academic New England D3, a UAA school and an Ivy. The Ivy didn't even show interest until her senior year, and that was largely due to a coaching change. She wound up going Ivy, but it was because of a specific major, not softball. She's happy and loves her school, but I think she would have loved the others also.

Good Luck with you search.

[Note: As a former coach with nearly 40 former players who played college ball I can tell you that a very large percentage do not play 4 years of softball - or not at 1 school]

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Sorry - quick follow up. Most of these coaches are told that they can recruit anyone with a given minimum GPA and test score. If the coach wants the player and she has the minimums, the coach can get her in. (there are exceptions such as MIT)
The other benefit of these schools is there is no scholarship to pull if DD decides not to play.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
I will give you slightly different info than daddylawman with regard to the coach's ability to get players in- that entirely depends on whether you are looking at NESCAC or IVY- for IVY that is true, they have much more leeway in terms of GPA and test scores. According to coaches at Amherst and Williams, very different for D3- they are bound by academic minimums at a much higher level- so if that is where your DD is looking- she needs to keep her GPA where it is and prep for ACT or SAT (she should try both to see where she scores best). NESCAC and IVY like scores in sophomore year so they can determine whether your DD is in the ballpark for them.

I don't think it is too early for her to let the coaches know her interest. Many of the D3 and IVY schools have camps, some in the winter, some in the summer, this can get a bit pricy, but if she has one or two of the schools she really likes, that is another way to meet the coaches early. If your DD stands out, they will come and see her play and certainly put her on their watch list. DD is in conversation with her top D3 choice now, she went to the camp during the summer at the end of her sophomore year. First conversation DD had with the coach, coach remarked that DD "came out of no where" meaning DD had not been in touch before or expressed interest" (my bad, what did I know)- but I took that to mean that many of the girls at the camp HAD been in touch (and this is summer of sophomore year.

If you want to go to a good academic showcase besides Pennsbury to get your DD used to being seen and not having the jitters; Showball on LI is a good academic camp and then I think there is also one at Babson that a number of D3 schools attend, that is also very good according to a friend of mine whose DD will be freshman at Middlebury this coming year, playing softball.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
As an aside, DD was really set on D3 school she had visited and when there was a lull in communication over the late winter, and DD thought maybe coach was not as interested, she sent her skills video cold to 2 or 3 of the IVYs. Heard back from one, surprise!! with which she had no prior contact, and she was invited for "unofficial visit" BECAUSE she already had her ACT scores in hand- and they wanted them prior to the invite. DD spent the day, met the coaches etc. (of course we still don't know where she is on THEIR list, but it was a nice experience for DD). So, it can happen both ways - through lots of effort (top story), and with little effort (emailed video!)- go figure, I never thought that that would work.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06