To Pitch or Not to Pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
To young to judge how things will work out in the long run. Success or failure at 12U doesn't have much to do with long term results.

The only thing that matters would be her personal desire to continue to put in the time and effort to continue. If she wants to keep going, look to the second year of 14U and 16U to make the decision about being good enough.

Mar 12, 2009
Yes, this is a common theme with both of my DDs (16 & 14) who pitch. I have stopped "encouraging" as much but am every ready to help them out if they ask. I've come to realize that how successful they become, or don't become, is up to them. They seem to practice less than half of what the other pitchers at their level do but do very well. I believe that they are just below the elite/college prospect level. And if they want to get to that next level it will require work. At this age, it's on their shoulders and not mine.

It's definitely a common thing for most and like you said...it's on their shoulders. Most of the girl's who make it to the upper levels have a strong competitive desire to want to be the best though and each parent can tell if their DD has that if they open their eyes.

Rocket,

Your DD sounds like she's getting plenty of practice away from you especially if she is actually putting in 30 min to an hour during her team practices to work on nothing but pitching so her case could definitely be different but you can still tell by the effort she gives when she goes to lessons and while she pitches in practice.

I would say all young girls will act like they're uninterested at some point but if you've taken a decent break and they never ask you to practice after quite a bit of time or even talk about pitching then that should tell all parents something.

Feb 7, 2013
Rocket,

Your DD sounds like she's getting plenty of practice away from you especially if she is actually putting in 30 min to an hour during her team practices to work on nothing but pitching so her case could definitely be different but you can still tell by the effort she gives when she goes to lessons and while she pitches in practice.

Thanks, I wouldn't say she is getting in "plenty of practice" but it's enough to keep her in pitching shape and to continue to work on her pitches and mechanics. She tends to work very quickly during pitching practice so in 30 minutes, she probably throws 150% the number of pitches most pitchers do. Don't know if this is necessarily a good thing but she has always worked quickly, whether its during the game or practice. She also pitches year-round and only takes a break for two weeks, twice a year. I know some will say to take two months off but for her, taking that much time-off sets her back a month or so. With her travel ball season, there really is no "off-season". The season runs Sept - July, with tryouts during the month of August.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish