Timing the ball vs. timing the pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
What straw and others are saying.

Or, if you think in terms of patterns like Tewks, here are a few:

* decide --> load --> swing
* load --> stop --> decide ---> swing

* [.....load.....]
....... decide --> swing

Maybe my last one doesn't make much sense, but the hitter is loading before deciding, and continuing to load during decision. Or to be even more Tewks like, at least at one point, haven't followed instructors lately, there is just one big swing label that starts before decision

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Both. Howard Carrier had a great observation that batters should "dance with the pitcher" as the pitcher goes into their windmill motion prior to release. At release, the batter should expect the fastest pitch to a certain location but adjust to the off-speed.

I stole that and have used it for several years.

You study the pitcher and start your "gather" at the time she starts any movenent. Starting your movement at the start of the pitchers movement keeps the hitter from ever needing a hard focus on the pitcher, allowing for a hard focus on the ball at release, and creates a slow and and early approach. Slow and early helps allow for timing the ball.

Also, in my book, there is no decision. It's swing at everything, hit the ball or hit the brakes.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
When talking about timing, this is one of my favorite gifs.

1z3cxvq.jpg

When working with a hitter on the subject, I will start by showing gifs like this. My focus here is not on the hitter, but on the on-deck hitter. While you are on deck, you have an opportunity to start timing the pitcher. Statements such as "early and slow", "rhythm", or "dance with the pitcher" are all valid in my opinion. Do not waste your on deck opportunity. If used properly, you will be more prepared when you step in the box. Then when you are in the box, follow RHC's advice. The intention should be to swing on every pitch. The only decision you have is to stop if necessary.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32