Time Limit Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2014
Yet another disputed ruling where the rules covering an official protest would have solved the problem.

So why no official protest? :confused:

I told them multiple times that the game was being protested. The UIC said "no it's not" and walked off.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Yet another disputed ruling where the rules covering an official protest would have solved the problem.

So why no official protest? :confused:

As OP stated, it took some time to find his rulebook and, based on my personal experience, it takes much longer to find one's wallet than a rulebook.

Nov 29, 2009
Then I would definitely follow up with the league/tournament director and find out why his umpires refused to accept my official protest.

Because most of the tournaments state in the rules there are no protests. Umpire decision is final. Keeps the tournament moving. Too many coaches who don't know the rules.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Because most of the tournaments state in the rules there are no protests. Umpire decision is final. Keeps the tournament moving. Too many coaches who don't know the rules.

Must be a regional thing. I umpire about 20 tournaments every season and they ALL allow protests.

They also all charge a fee, which I don't agree with. Teams pay enough money for umpires. They shouldn't have to pay extra to make sure the umpires know the rules. I understand that tournaments need to keep things on time. But that's why they're supposed to have a UIC on hand to handle something like that quickly.

As far as coaches "not knowing the rules" or "abusing the protest procedure", if the protest is frivolous it will be dismissed with no rescheduling issues. But if it's valid, why shouldn't a team get relief through the process afforded to them under the rules?

If the protest is valid, then the umpire will learn something. If it's not, then the coach will learn something. I see this as a win-win that furthers the education of the rules for both sides.

As OP stated, it took some time to find his rulebook and, based on my personal experience, it takes much longer to find one's wallet than a rulebook.

That's not really the way it's supposed to work.

If the coach knows the rule, then he knows the rule. He shouldn't have to go find a rule book. The protest is supposed to lodged on the spot, not after time is wasted looking for a book. The coach needs to be able to state what rule he is protesting and why he thinks the umpires have it wrong then and there.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2014
Well, I always have my rule book with me at games, in the dugout. I knew the rule without the book, but needed it to show the umpire, who had no clue. The only reason I couldn't find my rule book is because my wife had taken it in the house the night before to look up some rules about different things. But now we have 2 rulebooks, 1 in the car and 1 in the house. I did find the rule i needed to find and will definitely be pointing out to the umpnext time I see them. Just for their own knowledge going forward.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp