Time Limit Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2014
We are losing, Score is 7-2 , we are visitors. Bottom of 4th inning ends. Home team starts to take the field. Umpire yells "ball game, there's only 1 minute left and they can't take the field that fast". I try to explain that once the 3rd out is made, the next inning has to be played if there's any time at all left. Even called the head umpire and he backed up his umpire. I just want to know who was right, even though I am 99.99% sure I'm right. We do not play drop dead time limit...fwiw

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Next inning starts the moment the third out is complete. Should have played one more inning.

Aug 19, 2014
Next inning starts the moment the third out is complete. Should have played one more inning.

Thanks for The reply, I was 100% sure I was right. We we're probably gonna lose anyhow, but I wanted to make sure the ump knew for future reference that She made a bad call and needs to educate herself on the rules going forward.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Sounds like they were more interested in keeping the tournament on time rather than play according to the rules they set out at the beginning.

Aug 19, 2014
Sounds like they were more interested in keeping the tournament on time rather than play according to the rules they set out at the beginning.

I honestly think the ump had no clue about the rule. I really think she actually thought that the team had to be in the field and we had to be batting before time ran out. She just needs to educate herself on the time limit rules, and other rules for that matter.

Aug 19, 2014
I told em that. I went to get my rulebook to show them, but didn't find it until they had done made the teams shake hands and clear the dugouts.

Aug 19, 2014
What sort of time limit was it? A drop dead play halts immediately time limit? Or was it. NO inning can begin after sort of time limit?

90 minute time limit, no drop dead. Any inning that starts has to be finished. So technically the next inning started as soon as the last out was made, with 1 minute left. Next inning has to be played.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1