Time for New Gear is Approaching....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
Folks-
The time is rapidly approaching for new catcher's gear. My daughter is in her first full season as catcher, and in my opinion performing well. We have watched the entire NECC Video together and spend a ton of time developing her talents.

Anyway-
I have my eye on the following brands:

Rawlings

All Star

Easton

Key concerns are 1) SAFETY 2) Comfortable fit 3) Durability 4) SAFETY

Looking to budget between $300-400 for the new set.

Fire away! All opinions are welcome, and please state your case for other models that I haven't listed!

Thanks in Advace

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What age is your DD?

I really like the Wilson ProMotion chest protector, but they don't have smaller sizing (15" only). I'm considering the Schutt Scorpion for my 10U DD next season. The design of the Schutt seems to provide better protection than her current Easton Natural set. The All-Star System 7 is nice quality (Under Armor is a re-brand of this, I believe), but the seam down the middle of the abdomen leads to creating a ridge, and blocked balls tend to bounce right or left instead of straight in front.

Hopefully Chaz will chime in. He has done a lot of investigation on different gear.

EDIT:
Wilson ProMotion sizes - 14.5 and 16.5

Last edited:

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
My DD is also in her first year in the role and becoming more in love with it. I am more worried about WHEN one would get her knew gear? Outside of er growing out of it, how long should this stuff last and/or what should one look for to know it is time to invest in the next set. She has been in her current gear (and it fits fine still) about 1 year. it is All Star System 7 gear and she loves it.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
Totally forgot to mention her size and level of play.

She is 5'5" and about 150lbs. She is playing 14U B level presently.

I had read some negative reviews about Shutt using velcro to fasten the chest protector. Apparently this would rub the girls under arms. Some of the comments questioned the longevity of the straps and subsequently the gear. This is not first hand knowledge, I am regurgitating some reviews posted on a vendors site.

This site is awesome. Thanks again for the quick response and start to the discussion.

(I think we are about a 2-3 month window out from making a purchase)

Jan 27, 2013
St. Louis, MO
My DD just got a set of Easton Mako's and the first thing she said when she was trying them out was she barely notices they are there. She's worn them for a few games now and still loves them better than anything else we've ever tried. I'd at least try a pair on. I was a little skeptical because they look a little different, but ...

Oct 10, 2011
DD has a new set of Schutt Scorpion and she really likes it. I believe that's what they mainly use at Advanced Catching Concepts. She's 5'6" and 15 if that helps.

VA Chris

Actually Read the Rules
Jun 13, 2013
Some field, Somewhere
DD has a new set of Schutt Scorpion and she really likes it. I believe that's what they mainly use at Advanced Catching Concepts. She's 5'6" and 15 if that helps.

iMlearning- thanks for the thoughts. Can you confirm the velcro straps on the chest protector? Concerned that velcro may not last as long as a metal fastener.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves