Throwing bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 14, 2010
My 13yo DD has developed a new habit- throwing the bat to the point she has been warned quite a few times. She is now becoming so self-concious about not throwing the bat, that she is holding back from her usual powerful swing. Any suggestions on how to help with the bat throwing?

Aug 31, 2010
Tallmadge, Ohio
Bretman wrote:
NSA follows ASA in regard to thrown bats. Not all thrown bats are treated equally!

You can have a carlessly discarded bat where the batter accidently let's go of her bat after a swing or tosses it with too much force. NSA and ASA provide no penalty for a carelessly discarded bat accidently thrown too hard or too far. Live ball, play on.

If any discarded bat interferes with a play, then it is interence, the ball is dead and the batter is out.

If a bat is purposely thrown, as in anger, then the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty can be applied- same as with any other thrown piece of equipment. Unsportsmanlike conduct may be punished by ejection- at the umpire's discretion- but no out is charged. The umpire may issue a warning if the infraction is judged minor.

For the situation in the first post, it sounds like the carelessly discarded bat rule would apply. An umpire could issue warnings just as a safety measure and maybe talk to the batter's coach to see if he could speak to the player. And that's about it.

The only other option would be to somehow judge the act as intentional, in which case he could eject the batter. Calling this intentional might be a stretch. That would kind of be a "last resort" ruling if this was judged dangerous enough. But it's not really what the rule is designed to address. Unsportsmanlike bat throwing is usually something like the batter heaving the because she was mad, struck out or made an out.

This was posted by Bretman from another site on this subject. The question was about a girl throwing her bat that bounced of the backstop several times during a game and was only warned.

May 16, 2010
Bretman wrote:
NSA follows ASA in regard to thrown bats. Not all thrown bats are treated equally!

You can have a carlessly discarded bat where the batter accidently let's go of her bat after a swing or tosses it with too much force. NSA and ASA provide no penalty for a carelessly discarded bat accidently thrown too hard or too far. Live ball, play on.

If any discarded bat interferes with a play, then it is interence, the ball is dead and the batter is out.

If a bat is purposely thrown, as in anger, then the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty can be applied- same as with any other thrown piece of equipment. Unsportsmanlike conduct may be punished by ejection- at the umpire's discretion- but no out is charged. The umpire may issue a warning if the infraction is judged minor.

For the situation in the first post, it sounds like the carelessly discarded bat rule would apply. An umpire could issue warnings just as a safety measure and maybe talk to the batter's coach to see if he could speak to the player. And that's about it.

The only other option would be to somehow judge the act as intentional, in which case he could eject the batter. Calling this intentional might be a stretch. That would kind of be a "last resort" ruling if this was judged dangerous enough. But it's not really what the rule is designed to address. Unsportsmanlike bat throwing is usually something like the batter heaving the because she was mad, struck out or made an out.

This was posted by Bretman from another site on this subject. The question was about a girl throwing her bat that bounced of the backstop several times during a game and was only warned.

If a batter occasionally has the bat slip out of their hands, it's no big deal. However, in youth ball it is considered to be a safety issue if a batter lets it fly every time they swing, or very frequently. The umpire cannot call an out for a thrown bat, when it does not cause interference, but for safety, he could remove the player. I've done it. A kid let it fly twice, then the third time it went around and hit me, and on the fourth time, he hit the catcher who had to go to the hospital. I removed the batter from the game. On the last hit, he actually got a double, and I let that stand, because you can't call him out for throwing the bat, but when the inning ended, he was done for the day.

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
My 13yo DD has developed a new habit- throwing the bat to the point she has been warned quite a few times. She is now becoming so self-concious about not throwing the bat, that she is holding back from her usual powerful swing. Any suggestions on how to help with the bat throwing?

I'm not being funny here. Just hold onto the bat. How hard can it be? Keep a grip until the bat stops moving.

Sep 17, 2009
I assume she is throwing it behind her in some way and not out on the field.

Back in my rec days we used to make girls carry the bat with them a few steps and then drop it to fix letting the bat go at the end of the swing...

May 1, 2011
One of my favorite things to watch is the way Lance Berkman handles the bat after he unloads on one. Brings the bat back to the plate, and gently lays it down (well...drops it, but you get my drift). It's so graceful. It's just pertty!!

Josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad