Throw downs to 3B Fundamentals

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2012
Any tips/fundamentals for right handed catcher throw downs to 3B? Is it better to step up in front of batter or behind? Or does pitch location, batter position in the box, etc effect this? Just looking for an easy effective way to coach this. Thanks.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
For the basics, I teach to throw behind A RH batter. The footwork is to slide the right foot behind and past the left foot to get to a clear throwing lane behind the batter. If the batter is up in the box, the catcher should be moving up, too, so the slide step behind is still usually required.

Nov 22, 2012
For the basics, I teach to throw behind A RH batter. The footwork is to slide the right foot behind and past the left foot to get to a clear throwing lane behind the batter. If the batter is up in the box, the catcher should be moving up, too, so the slide step behind is still usually required.

Awesome, thanks!

May 17, 2012
Most common problem I see is 3B chasing the runner back to the bag. They only need to go back as far as needed to make a tag (on the leg, foot, whatever).

This assumes your 3B is playing up.

Sep 9, 2015
My daughter has been coached to step forward and throw. Most right handed batters will reflexively back out of the way on their own if they think the catcher will throw through them. I believe it - I stood in the box and was diving back when she made the throw - even knowing that she wasn't going to hit me. Also, most runners are coached to take their leads off 3B in foul territory so they don't get hit by a fair ball down the line so the fair side of the line is clear for the throw.

Nov 22, 2012
Most common problem I see is 3B chasing the runner back to the bag. They only need to go back as far as needed to make a tag (on the leg, foot, whatever).

This assumes your 3B is playing up.

My daughter has been coached to step forward and throw. Most right handed batters will reflexively back out of the way on their own if they think the catcher will throw through them. I believe it - I stood in the box and was diving back when she made the throw - even knowing that she wasn't going to hit me. Also, most runners are coached to take their leads off 3B in foul territory so they don't get hit by a fair ball down the line so the fair side of the line is clear for the throw.

Sorry I was meaning throwing to 3B on a steal, but good points! Thanks.

May 23, 2015
Outside pitch to a righty the catcher jabs out towards the left box (with their right foot) and throw in front of the batter. Middle in pitches jab out behind the batter. A pick off can be played either way it's designed. I always picked off runners while using the batter to shield my movements

If a batter clears out of the box on a steal to third they get a free round tattoo as a consolation prize for playing

Last edited:

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
Throw the 1st two runners out at 2nd, the throw to 3rd is a no teach. Just kidding, definitely depends on the pitch location.

Sep 30, 2015
Florida
If a batter clears out of the box on a steal to third they get a free round tattoo as a consolation prize for playing

That is a very important and difficult point to teach too. My #1 catcher noticed in our last tournament that every time there was a runner on 3rd the batters were getting out of the box. 3 outs later for interference the opposing coach threatened the girls and told them not to move out of the box for any reason.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff