Thoughts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
She's a pitcher, so for the longest time, hitting was an afterthought. I added the leg lift late this summer to try and get a little smoother load and give her a better timing mechanism. She's 13. I have my ideas on what still doesn't look right...but it's a lot better than what it used to look like. Just want to see if you all have the same thoughts as I do.

[video]https://youtu.be/WY-iOwe3G_I[/video]

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A lot of hitters are experimenting with a leg lift after the success of Alex Hugo at UGA, but I am still a big fan of the KISS principle when it comes to hitting. The more moving parts to a swing, the more potential for something going wrong. Alex Hugo has extraordinary eye/hand coordination and lighting quick hands - very few will experience the same level of success.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
There are some things I really like about the swing (I would be curious to see her swing at full speed), but some other things that are an issue.

The aggressive slotting of her rear elbow is putting her in a weak "bat drag" position. When thinking about the top hand at launch, we want to see the palm facing the pitcher (or maybe SS), not the sky. Another cue that might help is to not let the rear elbow get ahead of the hands. This isn't a rigid rule, but it might be a thought that she can process easily.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I like what's going on w/ the lower half. I like the sequence. Any issues would be in hands/barrel turn from what my untrained eyes can see. What JAD says is certainly food for thought, and he might be right, but what I've banked on w/ my DD and hitting mechanics is that a high-level swing has a lot of critical moving parts. What I've done w/ DD is to gamble on perfecting them, which takes a lot of work, repetition and faith, rather than eliminating them. Still a work in progress.

Jul 17, 2012
There are some things I really like about the swing (I would be curious to see her swing at full speed), but some other things that are an issue.

The aggressive slotting of her rear elbow is putting her in a weak "bat drag" position. When thinking about the top hand at launch, we want to see the palm facing the pitcher (or maybe SS), not the sky. Another cue that might help is to not let the rear elbow get ahead of the hands. This isn't a rigid rule, but it might be a thought that she can process easily.

Well...this is Number one on my "I don't like list" I figured that would be the first one identified. We're working on it... she can get it right off the tee....but that's coming off a machine at about 53-54 mph.

Jul 17, 2012
A lot of hitters are experimenting with a leg lift after the success of Alex Hugo at UGA, but I am still a big fan of the KISS principle when it comes to hitting. The more moving parts to a swing, the more potential for something going wrong. Alex Hugo has extraordinary eye/hand coordination and lighting quick hands - very few will experience the same level of success.

The leg lift has helped her tremendously with the entire load phase of the swing. She finally figured out what it means to coil into the back hip. The issue it's causing now, in my mind, which is #2 on my "I don't like list" is she's leaking forward at heel plant.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_nwn7rrb8Kq1usf292o1_250.gif

A lot to like..a nice base to start with.
I would look at this swing/drill and compare to your DD.
Tyler.gif

See what changes you could possible make to improve your DD swing.
A little more separation from the upper and the lower. As the front leg moves/strides forward the hands should be continuing to load back.

Last edited: