Thought it was a virus, but!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Don't screw around any longer with this. If this is the email that you just got. Then get her to a neurologist. This is nothing to mess around with at all. You know what my dd went thru and I hope it isn't as bad as what my dd went thru. It is only sometime and money spent if it is nothing, but if it isn't, then the quicker you get ahead of it the better. Please Peppers, I know we have never meet, but please, please don't wait around.

I'm very aware what concussions can lead to many phone calls to DD and the coaching staff they are reassuring me the trainer and nurse have experience handling concussions and we have nothing to worry about.

One young lady who had 5 concussions during high school is now battling brain cancer and she has been on my mind due to DD injury.

There is a neurologist down the road from the college so, maybe if she is no better she will listen to me and consult the doctor.

Thanks for your concern, I don't get to a computer much during the weekend, so I just saw you post this AM and have been bust at work so far.

Jun 18, 2013
I don't know nanotech14's story, but I will tell you that I suffer from a genetic neurological condition that causes me to have constant concussion like symptoms. If she is experiencing any of the symptoms that she describes in the email then she needs to visit the neurologist ASAP and not wait to see if she feels better later. That is a common misconception about brain injuries that can be very dangerous. Feeling better doesn't necessarily equal healed. She could stop having the visual difficulties that are causing the eye strain from a computer monitor and the heat issues could ease up some to the point that she doesn't feel them significantly from every day activity. That doesn't mean that she won't have a severe and damaging reaction to her first prolonged exposure to heat and exertion or that she won't be putting herself at serious risk of considerable lifelong injury by taking another hit to the head before she has healed enough to handle it.

Speaking as someone who lives with the daily struggle of constant migraine symptoms, nerve pain, vertigo, memory lapses, concentration issues, mood difficulties, coordination issues, and the myriad of other frustrating and sometimes horrifying other symptoms that come from neurological conditions, please do not let your daughter risk long term damage. Force her to see a qualified doctor and not just a nurse or trainer.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I agree with the above. I wrote this earlier, but my mother had a hard fall and concussion in July and continues to suffer from significant nausea and vertigo. The vertigo is serious enough that she has had to go without driving for several days-long spells. In other words, it's not improving as it should. I am deeply concerned about her, and I would really recommend a visit to a neurologist for your daughter. She may seem to be getting better and then go downhill.

Oct 19, 2009
DD passed the test yesterday, but the school has decided that she needs a clearance from a neurologist before she can go back to practice and she is scheduled to got to one in Florida this afternoon.

I think it was my calling the coach with concerns that has made them take this extra precautions.

She tells me she feel fine, but I think she just wants to get back to practice.

The girl who had 5 concussions I thought had brain cancer, my wife advised me yesterday it turned out not to be cancer. She is having blurred vision, headaches, dizzy spells and periods of confusion. My wife advised after numerous test they have not been able to find the problem although at first they thought she had a tumor.

So I hope this thread may help someone else who's kid suffers a blow to the head to take it seriously, DD is 20 and IMO I should have handled it different, by making her go to the doctor when I first heard.

She and her mom and I thought it was a virus because it took symptoms 5 days to show up as nausea and head aches.

Take any blow to the head seriously even though it seems insignificant.

It occurred for DD when her and 2 other girls stayed after practice to hit a ball hit the top of the screen popped up came down and hit her in the back of the head, she advised it was not a hard hit only stung a little, but did not hurt.

Jun 18, 2013
DD passed the test yesterday, but the school has decided that she needs a clearance from a neurologist before she can go back to practice and she is scheduled to got to one in Florida this afternoon.

I think it was my calling the coach with concerns that has made them take this extra precautions.

She tells me she feel fine, but I think she just wants to get back to practice.

The girl who had 5 concussions I thought had brain cancer, my wife advised me yesterday it turned out not to be cancer. She is having blurred vision, headaches, dizzy spells and periods of confusion. My wife advised after numerous test they have not been able to find the problem although at first they thought she had a tumor.

So I hope this thread may help someone else who's kid suffers a blow to the head to take it seriously, DD is 20 and IMO I should have handled it different, by making her go to the doctor when I first heard.

She and her mom and I thought it was a virus because it took symptoms 5 days to show up as nausea and head aches.

Take any blow to the head seriously even though it seems insignificant.

It occurred for DD when her and 2 other girls stayed after practice to hit a ball hit the top of the screen popped up came down and hit her in the back of the head, she advised it was not a hard hit only stung a little, but did not hurt.

I bolded what is probably the most important part for parents to see of what you said. Every athlete that reaches a high level of competition does so because they teach themselves to block out pain and continue to work. That pain can be from muscle soreness, it can be from fatigue, it can be from minor nuisances like cuts and bruises, and unfortunately it can be from serious injuries and they will not be able to differentiate on their own. It is our job as parents to teach them the difference between hurt and injured. You did the right thing by voicing your concerns to the coach and the coach finally did the right thing by benching your daughter until a qualified neurologist clears her.

You need to talk to your daughter before she goes to the neurologist, preferably very close to her appointment, and have a very frank conversation about how important it is that she is 100% honest with this doctor and that she can't leave anything out to try to make the situation sound like less than it is. Every headache, dizzy spell, vision problem, memory lapse, concentration loss, and sick stomach needs to be mentioned because she won't get another chance to fix her brain if she lets it get damaged.

Oct 19, 2009
DD emailed me just now the Neurologist in Tallahassee, FL has OK her to return to normal activity!!!!!!!!!!!

She advised he advised she was, "Good to go."

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Glad to hear the good news regarding your daughter! As someone who is actively involved with athletes suffering from SCI & TBI issues I was glad to see the attention it was given here. Be vigilant and aware, baseline testing should be a part of every athletes regimen.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06