The second "h" and the kick-out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
How does she get to the first h position? Is she using the energy transfer to the left foot to get the lean while driving forward with it? From a post above, I wasn't hearing this as part of her sequence?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Don't try to make the second h happen....

I respectfully disagree. It seems to me that many young pitchers get in the habit early on to kick their stride foot out a bit too aggressively (too soon), compromising somewhat the thrusting of the drive leg. Thus, we see a lot of young pitchers giving the thrust a sort of half effort (because it's harder) and the kick-out of the stride foot being very quick (because that's easy to do).

It's my opinion that the second "h" could, and in many case should, be something to focus on -- "try to make happen" (by delaying the kick-out of the stride foot but not the stride knee).

P.S. Love that clip of the sprinter start! Given the way a sprinter starts, I would agree with you that you don't need to focus on making the second "h" happen, but pitching isn't starting exactly that same way. With pitching there is definitely a purposeful kick out with the stride foot, where with sprinting it appears to be more a focus on the stride knee with only a slight reach with the stride foot.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Given Colin's picture example and comments about his DD's focus, I'd bet she is not taking advantage of pushing with both legs. I'd bet that her focus is powering the drive primarily with the pivot leg. If she tries to fix something later in the sequence without correcting a factor that contributes to the second h, I think it's a misguided effort.

Try both ways: force a second h from a one leg drive and see if you can get detachment from the rubber by 3 o'clock. Then see how much easier it is to get the h and detach if driving with both legs in a bang bang fashion.

Added:
Curious about JS's take on this as my take on the 2 step is a little tweaked/morphed...

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
P.S. Love that clip of the sprinter start! Given the way a sprinter starts, I would agree with you that you don't need to focus on making the second "h" happen, but pitching isn't starting exactly that same way. With pitching there is definitely a purposeful kick out with the stride foot, where with sprinting it appears to be more a focus on the stride knee with only a slight reach with the stride foot.

I'd say the biggest difference is that the sprinter is setting up to take another push with the stride leg, whereas the pitcher is prepping to plant/resist.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Given Colin's picture example and comments about his DD's focus, I'd bet she is not taking advantage of pushing with both legs. I'd bet that her focus is powering the drive primarily with the pivot leg. If she tries to fix something later in the sequence without correcting a factor that contributes to the second h, I think it's a misguided effort.

Try both ways: force a second h from a one leg drive and see if you can get detachment from the rubber by 3 o'clock. Then see how much easier it is to get the h and detach if driving with both legs in a bang bang fashion.

I think you and I, my friend, are misunderstanding each other. ;)

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
To clarify, my comments were specific to Colin's case. I think if she focuses some time on maximizing her load and drive using both sides, she will be in a better spot to address an early kickout (if necessary.)

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
found a short video from the side. she looks good to me starting out then her foot shoots out and she walks through the finish.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
See Doug! I told you she needs to work on a better knee drive!

(I hope sriracha goes well on crow...)

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
not trying to get doug in trouble here, he has been a great help to my dds, just want her to get that second H because it will help her. she knows her foot shoots out but changing has been difficult.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles