The Kelly Barnhill Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You have been around long enough to have along list of what aspects of the game are open to compromise. It is pretty much everything. And softball isn't anywhere near as bad as most other sports.

If it is a long list, please name 3-4. Or name 1 sport where a very specific rule is for the most part completely ignored. Nothing comes close.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
Maybe we should have slo-mo instant replay to catch all of these "cheaters". Watching the the Georgia v Kentucky game today, GA pitcher Gray pitches legally most of time but on at least a few occasions her back foot gets off the ground (leaps). Kentucky's lefty pitcher gets outside the 24inch pitching lane on almost every pitch. Should we label them illegal pitchers and fire the coaches for recruiting these illegal players? I'm pretty certain that illegal pitching acts like these happen in a majority of games played at the collegiate level. Or are these rules general guidelines since we know that no umpire will call IPs on any of these infractions.

Feb 7, 2013
You are over thinking it. It is not that complex. Simply enforce the rules. That is all it takes.

The pitching rules and enforcement is flawed, if not broken. Umpires don't know what a replant is, they don't know when a player is allowed to leap or not (e.g hole in front of pitching plate), striding on or outside the pitching lane, foot on or touching the pitching plate or not, the wrist can't be farther away from body as the elbow (this is a huge issue we have not even begun to address when we are talking illegal pitching), etc. The pitching rules are way more complex than they should be, don't add much benefit to the game, and are nearly impossible to enforce fairly and consistently unless you add another umpire to the game just to watch and enforce all these rules. Simplify the game, don't make it more complex than it needs to be. Does the men's game have all of these complaints ablnd illegal pitchers?

Feb 7, 2013
So you saying that 2 SEC base umpires are incapable of spotting a pitcher jumping up in the air. Is that what you are going with?

Either they are incompetent, don't know the rules, or they have been told to over look leaping and replanting. I don't know which is one worse but the system of enforcement is seriously flawed, and not just in the SEC, all leagues and associations.

Jan 31, 2011
I personally do not have a DD that pitches, nor am I a PC. I have, however, coached many TB pitchers and many TB games. It is my experience that IPs get called. I have never had an umpire shrug me off with a question about the opposing pitcher. I will tell you, we've never faced a skippy like Barnhill or Silkwood. About a year or so ago, we played a Bandits team where the pitcher took a mini-step prior to the stride. After a handful of pitches I talked to the plate umpire. He called one IP, then they pulled her. No argument, no complaining about the severity of a rule we all know. The coach simply recognized the infraction and moved on. Why do we have to go down the road of changing the rules? Just enforce them as written.

One of my current pitchers (awesome kid) can get into a groove and speed up her pre-pitch routine to a point where she doesn't "present". She just steps on the rubber and goes! She's been called for it and I remind her to pause. I guess what I'm saying is I have never had an umpire ignore an infraction. I know this isn't D1 softball, but nonetheless, rules should be followed.

As far as the "big call" and severity of the infraction, we all know the penalty of the rule as written. I always tell my players never leave the game in the hands of the umpire. So, why should Coach Walton get a pass? He may just get it called at the worse possible time. Tough luck!

A few years ago I saw a WCWS game where the base runner on 3rd base did not get back to the bag after a pitch quick enough and was called out for the LB rule. That was a HUGE call, but blue did his job. So, make those uncomfortable calls as the rules are written and keep the playing field level.

Finally, its not right to look the other way. Thousands of kids around the country are putting in countless hours and dollars to learn to pitch correctly. Ignoring the rules diminishes their efforts, quite frankly!

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Rick - I respect your opinion, what is your thoughts about moving the pitching plate back to 46 feet and let the women pitch like the men?

It seems to me that there is nothing even remotely "natural" about dragging the pivot along the ground like an anchor when doing an athletic move. Combine that with the fact that the governing bodies have basically given up enforcing the "leap" and "replant" rules which tells me that a) there is no real advantage gained with these flawed mechanics, and b) it's nearly impossible to enforce consistently within the games or tournaments across this nation. The rules and rule books are changed and updated ever year (rules added, modified, or dropped) and this may just be one of the pitching rules that needs to be re-evaluated to determine if it should even be on the books anymore?

I actually umped for a year and know pitching. So it's not to hard to identify an illegal pitch. Now if you don't know pitching, then I would guess it might be harder to call.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
You either act with integrity or you don't. There is no middle ground. If you refuse to do so you have no business umpiring rec-ball. If people make excuses for players, umpires and coaches they are a big part how we got here in the first place. I have to wonder what other aspects of the game are open to compromise for the sake of convenience and political expediency. The game as it stands is a joke. Change the rules and you make it a bigger joke.

I had to umpire rec and JV, there are many pitchers who pitch illegal who obviously don't gain an advantage.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I had to umpire rec and JV, there are many pitchers who pitch illegal who obviously don't gain an advantage.

That is irrelevant. You are paid to do job. You either do it with integrity or you don't. Umpires picking and choosing what rules they will enforce are a huge part of the problem.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad