The Jake Elliott Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Watching the replay on WatchESPN now.....gotta love technology! So far the SEC Network has done a good job of making softball games available online. I assume most of the conference match ups will be available online. I hope the B1G Network follows their lead.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2014
Riseball - we live in upstate SC & our DD1 has attended several camps, clinics at USC before her ACL surgery, so we follow the program. Watching your daughter pitch for the Gamecocks is such a pleasure. She has incredible composure in the circle & since we are watching from home via SEC network, we get to observe the close ups. She seems to be relaxed & focused every pitch ! Good job coaching her to this level of play & success. Lots of young pitchers are watching & cheering her on, including my 2 !

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Riseball - we live in upstate SC & our DD1 has attended several camps, clinics at USC before her ACL surgery, so we follow the program. Watching your daughter pitch for the Gamecocks is such a pleasure. She has incredible composure in the circle & since we are watching from home via SEC network, we get to observe the close ups. She seems to be relaxed & focused every pitch ! Good job coaching her to this level of play & success. Lots of young pitchers are watching & cheering her on, including my 2 !

Thanks for the kind words. This is a favorite subject of mine. I have found that one of the biggest areas of improvement for many pitchers involves slowing down the tempo and becoming more deliberate. Getting them to focus and to commit to each pitch will often yield immediate improvement. They need to throw each and every pitch as though it is the most important pitch of the game. But this needs to be developed in practice by throwing at a true game tempo and get quality reps. :)

Jun 18, 2010
Strike looking versus Coastal Carolina:

jake-cc_zpsv6nkwg0h.gif

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Last weekends games were not televised so I could only follow the stats. Jake called us after the Georgia Tech game on Sunday and was a bit ticked that she gave up only 1 hit, a solo dinger. I asked what happened and she said that she backed off speed and was just spinning the ball and throwing a low rise. I assume one did not work. She got some K's and said she had about 15 wiffs on the the pitch. We always liked to throw it in TB and I am glad to hear she has brought it back. Lots of games coming up in Columbia. I love the SEC channel! :)

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
since we have her "former coach" onboard: Risball, what are the two pitches being thrown above? posts #45 & #46?

I am just curious. Trying to learn, is all...

I see a fair amount of wrist flattening and undercut/slice on the release of both balls,
but they do seem to have noticeably different trajectories. So, my uni-trained eyes are stumped...

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
since we have her "former coach" onboard: Risball, what are the two pitches being thrown above? posts #45 & #46?

I am just curious. Trying to learn, is all...

I see a fair amount of wrist flattening and undercut/slice on the release of both balls,
but they do seem to have noticeably different trajectories. So, my uni-trained eyes are stumped...

I will be straight up and say I have no clue especially with her weight so far forward. It almost looks like she is trying to get the ball to run toward her throwing side, which is something she used to do back in the day. I do know that she has been playing around with different speeds on her pitches. Last time I saw her in Columbia her speed was up and down quite a bit. I do know she wants be able to change looks as much as possible once she gets into SEC games. This may be something new??? I am interested to see what she does if she is in the circle tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG