The Commish needs help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
The cherry on top of the ate-up sundae:

"Ray this is Coach [REDACTED] and I have showed up to practice tonight at liberty Park looking for diamond one and I see none of my team members here.

I think I am turning in the equipment and I am pulling [REDACTED] as I feel that this experience has been the most horrible one I have ever had in any level of sports. There is absolutely zero organization to all of this so we are done.

Contact me as to where you want this equipment dropped off to you at..."

I put the rosters out to the coaches on 4/8, and they've been available since then. This guy emails me yesterday and says, "I can't find anyone's email or phone number on my team." He should have held 2 practices by now.

Aug 12, 2014
I'm confused - did he notify his players where and when practice was and none of them showed up? Or did he think that you told everyone?

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I'm confused - did he notify his players where and when practice was and none of them showed up? Or did he think that you told everyone?

I talked to him on the phone, and I'm not sure.

From what I could tell, his assistant coach communicated to the team (everyone except him I guess) the incorrect field, so the team went to the wrong field, and HC went to the correct one. And somehow this became my fault.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
My new favorite parent - and this a direct result of the coach's actions from post #62 above - my division manager forwarded her email wanting to withdraw to me, and I sent her this:

Me:
"Hello [Parent],

I apologize for the confusion - these things do happen every once in a while, but do believe the situation to be resolved, as [DIV MGR] said. I would like to encourage ​you and [DD] to at least attend one or 2 practices before finalizing your decision. I say this for 2 main reasons: mainly, you stated that "...she loves the game of softball..." and I do not want one bad experience to ruin the game for her. It is very important to me that girls who want to play, play. Also, and this is just an unfortunate timing issue, we have already ordered our equipment, so no refunds are available at this time.

Again, I apologize for the strange start to the season, but I do believe that if [DD] gives it a chance she'll find that it will be a good season on a fun team."

Her:
"Hello,

I now will not only be withdrawing my daughter from the team but am now not willing to ever have her play for this league again.
I do not like how this email is implying that I don't know mistakes can happen. I mean my god she played with OYAA last year and it was a mess then too!
As a parent who has an older daughter picking her college to play for I surely know a thing or two about teams at this point and what Lily needs and this surely isn't it. She needs a coach who knows the game and is trained. My husband offered his time at the first practice so she wouldn't have to go through all the mayhem and was ignored.

I will not only not recommend this league I will warn others of what it is lacking and that you were only concerned about your "equipment"
( of which my children never use since we buy our own) and not my daughters best interest.

I don't know how you can ask me to give it another try when she is adamant she doesn't want to go. Should I drag her to practice and upset her when this is supposed to be fun and something she normally likes!?

I think I will look into finding her a better league with better training and skill levels and look into reporting the problem I am having to someone who might do something about it. Sadly, I would have been willing to give it another try next season if you had taken responsibility and issued me a refund."

This is so not worth it. I mean, if I could just tell her off, I'd feel much better.

Aug 12, 2014
I think you should have offered her a refund (even a partial one) if she was willing to try a couple of practices. I know where you're coming from, and I also get where she is coming from.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is so not worth it. I mean, if I could just tell her off, I'd feel much better.

A little preachy response might have been what set them off but then again it looks like anything might have set them off. Hello, today is sunny.

Hopefully it is over and they move on, probably not. :)

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Unfortunately, I can't change the refund rules - that has to come from the organization president. I would have gladly done it had it been my decision.

People are just looking for a reason to be offended. I might have worded my email differently, but her previous emails never indicated this level of agitation. I probably should have called her.

Lesson learned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi