The best way to help softball players feel good

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
From "Women Talk Sports Networks" sourced from "Women in Sport & Physical Activity Journal"

Wow I have confidence now in the validity of this "report".

If it's in print it must be true right?

;)

Dec 7, 2011
Look, at some point, you have to go with what the female players and leadership in sports want and not "dad's" ideas, and they want equality or at least equity. All of the modern coaching training goes along with this report, as in public schools or public entities that offer softball, we can't discriminate. Beyond that, f you want your DDs or players to succeed in the world without having been treated differently and learning those biases, then let your old fashioned ideas go. I can't make you. The world is moving on and it will move on regardless.

And your basis is that this "world" is moving to a better place.....?

I suggest you quadruple your expresso,.... that may induce an awakening for ya and hopefully then some critical thinking that might have you question your information outlets you try to emulate.

Look I am not trying to bully any opinion,...in my world panacea everyone is thinking for themselves and not on behalf of any one big collective. What I will never understand is anyone who has coached both boys & girls and who cannot recognize some fairly sizeable differences in their sports psyches (IN GENERAL). To me I feel you are not allowing yourself to think for yourself.

Ya so back to my original question - what part of the world today is going so well for you that you feel it is on the right track?(rhetorical Q)

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
OILF, read the WHOLE post again. You read the first line and immediately assumed.

Ol' Coach Mike continues t something right:

Candrea Gets to 1,400 Wins as Cats Sweep

TUCSON, Ariz. – Arizona head coach Mike Candrea picked up career wins number 1,399 and 1,400, as Arizona swept day one of the Wildcat Invitational. Candrea, the sport’s active wins leader, becomes the second coach ever to win 1,400 games and becomes the fastest to do so.

Candrea has lost just 341 games, and tied two, in his 29-plus seasons as the Wildcat coach, good for an .804 career winning percentage.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
Ken:
By repeating an old cliche, you are perpetuating it. Ask any major leaguer, professional or college athlete who is male , and often he will answer 'feeling good' was the reason for his success in some way, and not the other way around. I have heard over 10 interviews in the past months, from college baseball world series to PGA golf the US open tennis, where male athletes have expressed the same thing that is purportedly only a feature of "girls" (I guess because we are so "weak" emotionally). In fact, today all athletes tend to think a lot more and be more sensitive about why they are committing themselves to hours of practice and pressure.

Ok in all fairness to OILF the above paragraph makes a valid point to which Ken replied that she needed to read the whole post for full context... I dont see anything wrong with above opinion.. I much rather have coaches think boys/girls are the SAME than have negative preconceptions of what boys and girls can do... of course I would rather coaches be educated and know how to best make use of the differences in a positive way

The second aspect is that a lazy selfish style of coaching is just that, bad coaching, and to blame the "girls" for not accepting it (and making poor old Candrea or whoever change) is ridiculous. Just because coaches model after or lived through some sort of drill sargeant mentality in the past never made it work or made it acceptable. Please, you are not doing us a favor by making us sound weak and needing special attention and acting as if males are the standard in this regard.

OILF I see nothing in article or in Ken's post that would insinuate women are weak. On the contrary the article argued against statements that are well meaning but not true... (good play on a droped routine fly for example)... sorry but neither the article nor Ken made any reference to drill sarge, women are weak or anything you are bringing forth on this "second aspect"

Im actually going to share this article with some of my coaches who insist on telling a few of our players who are "all star" caliber players that it was a "good try" when they drop a blooper to them or "its ok it was a hard hit ball" when they let a routine grounder through their legs... those girls KNOW they should have had the ball and would much rather hear "Field the ball first.. you dropped it because you were already looking at 2nd for the backpick" and "your glove wasnt all the way in the ground because you reacted late to the hit... be quicker to get your butt down next time" followed by a "shake it off we will work on it in practice.. get your bat and get even"

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2013
I am a 54 year old male and if I have a gender prejudice it is for females. Most of my favorite people on earth are female; the top of the list being my two DDs. I have never bought into this alleged male vs. female war thing. I look at it as males and females working together. It would take a blind, deaf, and dumb individual to believe that there aren't any differences between the two genders. The part that I think the feminists got wrong was just because males and females are different it doesn't mean one gender is better than the other.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
That old bromide needs to go. I can't believe they still post that crap in rec league league manager manuals. Everyone should feel good, just like boys should wear cages on their helmets. That saying makes my skin crawl, and most moms cringe when they hear it too. Yes, it's different coaching boys and girls, but not THAT different. We are trying to build strong women out of these girls, who will be able to stand up to the pressures that face them later in life.

I still like the bows in their hair though. Lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi