The backswing; Does it add speed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Chelsea Thomas not coming out of the circle 5'10 very husky powerful girl 70+ (by the way I think shes great)

And from what I see she does have a small back swing with the ball out of the glove

What year is this video from? 2-3 three years ago? Look at the Mizzlou FB page for recent pictures. And the circle is only 4 feet in front of the rubber not 8 feet. The shorter stride is for the benefit of her Peel Drop. She comes off the rubber with ball in glove now a days. She jumps and drags. Some step and drag. She rocks and fires. She is the best.JMHO This video is old, I'd say. It's from her big twelve days, from looking closer.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2012
She puts a little rock into her stride with speed and spin to create the best peel drop in the college game and maybe all of the female game. She also throws a good rise ball and a good change up from the same delivery. That is 3 pitches altogether. No curve or screw just vertical movement at 70+ mph.

I agree with you on this I totally buy into them 3 pitches as a must for pitching.

Look at Chelsea Thomas who throws the ball 72 MPH, and she doesn't use the back arm swing to get that ball speed or the leg drive. She Hides the ball and gets her forward start with both hands together going forward with the ball in the glove until almost 1/4 of her arm circle is finished.
I disagree with you on this. The first pitch on the above video she hide's the ball like you said but the rest of the pitches she is not hiding the ball and she also has a small back swing.

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
So Chelsea Thomas used to come out of the glove with a little back swing, a year or two ago from looking at the video. Looks like she changed her ways to the better of hiding the ball longer in the glove. Probably advice from Doug Gillis, who knows it is never a wrong time for a change if the change is for the betterment of the pitcher. I hate commas. sorry. Any body agree she changed a little bit from a year or two ago?

Apr 24, 2012
So many questions to answer and so many thoughts that my fingers can't keep up with on this key board. We are in the back arm swing and does it add speed, and then were also talking and wondering of the back arm swing give more help to the leg drive...Look at Chelsea Thomas who throws the ball 72 MPH, and she doesn't use the back arm swing to get that ball speed or the leg drive. She Hides the ball and gets her forward start with both hands together going forward with the ball in the glove until almost 1/4 of her arm circle is finished. She shows the ball only 3/4 of her arm circle and gets her speed from the down swing or last 180 degrees of the arm circle. She get her spin for the peel drop from her finger tips and the last finger to touch the ball is her middle/longest finger. She puts a little rock into her stride with speed and spin to create the best peel drop in the college game and maybe all of the female game. She also throws a good rise ball and a good change up from the same delivery. That is 3 pitches altogether. No curve or screw just vertical movement at 70+ mph.
How far do you think the circle is from the rubber? Some one please tell us all. Is it 4' or 8'?
@ BM if I though some base coach was trying to pick my pitches, I would purposely show him a circle change grip or a knuckle rise ball grip and change it in the glove and throw a peel drop with a different grip than the rise or the change.
Why does a catcher give signs to a pitcher that calls their own game. Just so they know what is coming up or down. If the catcher calls a pitch the pitcher doesn't want to pitch the pitcher shakes it off. Why do catchers use a series of signs with a runner on 2nd base. You know. Why is a the same location on the plate the same spot on the plate for a left handed slapper as it is for a right handed power hitter? Isn't it to keep the slapper from hitting the outside pitch toward the ss and making the rh power hitter to hit the out side pitch toward the 2nd baseman? So you pitch the lefty inside and the righty outside to challenge them to hit your pitch where you want it to go. A pitcher can control the game with location if they throw 70 plus mph with vertical movement. Ad a great change up and a pitcher becomes a world beater. Like I said my fingers can't keep up with my thought and if I forget something. Sorry I'm old. I have a few FB friends that are playing in the 60U nationals every year. WOW.

What year is this video from? 2-3 three years ago? Look at the Mizzlou FB page for recent pictures. And the circle is only 4 feet in front of the rubber not 8 feet. The shorter stride is for the benefit of her Peel Drop. She comes off the rubber with ball in glove now a days. She jumps and drags. Some step and drag. She rocks and fires. She is the best.JMHO This video is old, I'd say. It's from her big twelve days, from looking closer.

ok i will check it out this is the first video I found

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
I agree with you on this I totally buy into them 3 pitches as a must for pitching.

I disagree with you on this. The first pitch on the above video she hide's the ball like you said but the rest of the pitches she is not hiding the ball and she also has a small back swing.
different years and one is just warm up for the throw to 2nd base Wrong it is not just a warm up pitch, but it goes from short front view to a back shot. my bad. But it is old from big 12 years. She has changed for the better of hiding the ball. Thanks to Doug Gillis I think.

Last edited:

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
Ah but remember..........Mr. "X" said men are "triple jumpers" and women are "broad jumpers".......(no pun intended)........

The mechanics of the broad jump, and how the most explosive leg drive is achieved ties directly into having to keep BOTH FEET on the rubber..........So who's missing the boat here?.........

Don't let science and bio-mechanics get in the way of a good ol' boy who was pitching when Rotary Dial "Princess Phones" were the "in thing".........

Explain this to me, what does this have to do with throwing a ball and how a pitcher gets more speed and more movement on her ball from the exploding off the rubber and landing on/over the chalk and releasing the ball. Can this dude pitch? Where is the ball, the glove, the rubber and the circle? I'd like to see him pitch and duck.

Last edited:

X pitcher

Banned
Apr 5, 2013
Micco Fl.
So the circle in front of the rubber is 9 1/2 feet away from the front of the rubber, because the center of the circle is 18" in front of the rubber. Right? That's a long hop and replant away then, or a very long drag.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877