Texas A&M - ULL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
The pitcher got away with an illegal pitch on that play too. Would have been nice to see that call continue throughout the game.

I've been pretty busy the past couple days but I've seen nothing to make me think it couldn't be done. I've seen a lot of false equivalence arguments about pitching lanes, third base line, every batter/inning/coach cries, etc. but nothing compelling.

Would going again half way through the game help? I think so. Would it hurt? I don't understand how. You could go after 2.5 and 5. I didn't even know the EZ Chalker existed when I asked. You could put the front half of each box on in probably 20 seconds with that. I see time as a total non-factor, especially during the whole WCWS tournament.

If someone slides into second and dislodges the base, should we throw it in the dugout?

Finally, I see a lot of talk about how these 18-23 year olds know exactly where there feet and the box are to the millimeter while in a pressure cooker trying to place a 65 MPH pitch in a split second. How many of you have slapped at a D1 level? How many of you have slapped period? I'd venture to say that number is probably zero. Many of you have said that these girls know exactly where they are and the non-existent box is...yet three times in that game from what I've read here it was called. So it must not be as easy as it seems huh?

You know what I don't do? I don't golf. Golf looks so easy to me in my armchair . The ball just sits there and you hit it. Piece of cake. When I tell golfers that they tell me I'm an idiot. I think some slappers might tell you all the same thing.

All that said, they put the box there at the beginning for a reason. If it's relined once or twice, will there still be times when it disappears? Sure. Logic would dictate it would be less than now. No one has convinced me that would be bad for the game.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Finally, I see a lot of talk about how these 18-23 year olds know exactly where there feet and the box are to the millimeter while in a pressure cooker trying to place a 65 MPH pitch in a split second. How many of you have slapped at a D1 level? How many of you have slapped period? I'd venture to say that number is probably zero. Many of you have said that these girls know exactly where they are and the non-existent box is...yet three times in that game from what I've read here it was called. So it must not be as easy as it seems huh?.

If they don't, and they start earlier than 8 yo, you need to be having a conversation with the coaches who are failing them. When I started playing baseball at 6, I knew exactly where I could stand and step. My coaches made sure we all knew where the batter's box was. And there are quite a few fields where these kids play that do not have lines. Are you suggesting that today's players and coaches are not smart enough to figure out something so simple?

This is starting to sound more like a whine. BTW, there is absolutely nothing keeping the hosts from doing what you are suggesting and again, the same people are those with the authority the get the rules changed. Apparently, it just isn't important enough to the coaches to be bothered. Now that some think they have been burned, maybe it will be proposed. Or maybe just done by the hosts in the upcoming Supers, but I can guarantee it will not change a thing.

Did a lot of slapping in 6 year old baseball did you? Another false equivalence.

Whine? I could not have cared less who won the game, and I've said probably a dozen times I was fine with the ump making the call. Now you just said that the hosts could do whatever they want. My original question why not reline and it was answered it's against the rules, specifically in NCAA. Now you say there are a lot of fields without lines at all? I'd like to see one time that an NCAA softball game started this season with no batter's box lines. I'm more confused now than when I asked what I thought at the time was a simple question.

It's purely for my own enjoyment as a fan and I think it makes the game more fair. I like to be able to see things for myself and know, not think, what happened. I don't care if blue got it right, it's part of the game they will make mistakes like everyone else. I saw a girl in one game this weekend swing and have the ball go off her in the box and clearly change direction. It was very obvious. Replay showed it clearly change direction like 30 degrees, it was headed towards first and then went back towards third. Girl ran it out, blue ruled it fair, it happens. And I could see it. I want to see it. Otherwise I could just read the bracket after the tournament is over. And I do think it has some potential impact on the game.

I can only imagine what you must think of Olympic gymnasts who step off the balance beam or out of bounds on a floor tumbling run, something so simple, or a long jumper who fouls a takeoff. Obviously inferior coaches failing them and not very smart athletes.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I've been pretty busy the past couple days but I've seen nothing to make me think it couldn't be done. I've seen a lot of false equivalence arguments about pitching lanes, third base line, every batter/inning/coach cries, etc. but nothing compelling.

Not false equivalence, slippery slope. And sure, not compelling for maintaining the status quo, but there's also no compelling argument to re-chalk at arbitrary points during the game.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Did a lot of slapping in 6 year old baseball did you? Another false equivalence.

Need to get the water out of your ears, or eyes as the case may be. Point was, and I would like to think you were smart enough to get it, that the coaches did their job and even at that age, I understood it.

Whine? I could not have cared less who won the game, and I've said probably a dozen times I was fine with the ump making the call. Now you just said that the hosts could do whatever they want. My original question why not reline and it was answered it's against the rules, specifically in NCAA. Now you say there are a lot of fields without lines at all? I'd like to see one time that an NCAA softball game started this season with no batter's box lines. I'm more confused now than when I asked what I thought at the time was a simple question.

If someone has a citation showing that the hosts cannot reline the field, I'm more than willing to read it. Below is the NCAA rule on Lines(Markings) and I don't see anything forbidding the relining of the field.

2.16 Lines (Markings) 2.16.1 Lines (foul lines, running lane, on-deck circles, pitcher’s circle and lane, dead-ball areas, coaching, batter’s and catcher’s boxes) denote spaces to which players or coaches are restricted. The outermost edge of each line is the restricting boundary and shall meet the dimensions defined in the rules. To be considered “within” the space, the player or coach must not have any part of the foot extend beyond the outermost edge of the line. To be considered “on the line,” the foot of the player or coach may extend over the boundary as long as the foot is in contact with the line. In either case, a player or coach must not have an entire foot in contact with the ground completely outside the line that defines the space.

The outside edge of the first- and third-base lines and their extensions should correspond with the outside edges of first and third base, and the outside edge of the pitcher’s lane should correspond with the outside edge of the pitcher’s plate and batter’s boxes.

All lines on the playing field shall be marked before each game and in white using paint, chalk or material that is not injurious or irritating to the eyes or skin. All lines must be 2 to 4 inches in width.

2.16.2 Lines shall be redrawn at the discretion of the umpire. Every attempt should be made to avoid significantly delaying the game; however, if the lines can be redrawn between innings, the umpire may direct the grounds crew to do so.

2.16.3 A coach shall not intentionally remove any required lines on the field nor intentionally cover the pitcher’s or home plate.

EFFECT—The umpire shall issue a warning to the offending coach. Subsequent violation by the same individual shall result in a behavioral ejection. (Rule 13.2.1.)

2.16.4 A player shall not intentionally remove any lines on the field nor intentionally cover the pitcher’s or home plate.

A.R. 2.16.4: Deliberately covering a line with infield material is considered removing the line.

EFFECT—A strike shall be called on the batter if the offense intentionally violates the rule, and a ball shall be awarded to the batter if the defense intentionally violates the rule. Note: A batter may not be intentionally walked by erasing lines.

It's purely for my own enjoyment as a fan and I think it makes the game more fair. I like to be able to see things for myself and know, not think, what happened. I don't care if blue got it right, it's part of the game they will make mistakes like everyone else. I saw a girl in one game this weekend swing and have the ball go off her in the box and clearly change direction. It was very obvious. Replay showed it clearly change direction like 30 degrees, it was headed towards first and then went back towards third. Girl ran it out, blue ruled it fair, it happens. And I could see it. I want to see it. Otherwise I could just read the bracket after the tournament is over. And I do think it has some potential impact on the game.

Then maybe you should consider becoming an umpire.

I can only imagine what you must think of Olympic gymnasts who step off the balance beam or out of bounds on a floor tumbling run, something so simple, or a long jumper who fouls a takeoff. Obviously inferior coaches failing them and not very smart athletes.

Could be if it is a problem. Or it could be the athlete isn't capable of understanding or executing. The one thing I can tell you is that it isn't because the officials didn't clean/adjust apparatus or foul line or re-calibrate a wind direction indicator.

But gotta love your attempt to mix and match my comments in your attempt to support your argument.

Thread is getting old. Thanks for the entertainment.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Wow, MTR, sure seems like you are getting pretty upset because some random guy (swimcoach) on an internet board doesn't agree with you. Agree to disagree I guess. Doesn't seem like anyone's mind is gonna change.

Swimcoach said "All that said, they put the box there at the beginning for a reason. If it's relined once or twice, will there still be times when it disappears? Sure. Logic would dictate it would be less than now. No one has convinced me that would be bad for the game." Pretty much sums up my feeling on the issue. Probably never gonna happen.

MTR-"thread is getting old"
Agreed.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
It has probably been said here, anyway MLB , i don't remember them redoing any lines, as much as the batters try to hide them, All the years that i played the limer went to the shed and stayed there, once the set up was done, right or wrong, officials left in charge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1