Texas A&M - ULL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It sounds like the reason is "because that's how we always do it". I think that's dumb, and unnecessary. So far no one has given a reason as to what the negative would be about having it relined. Just that we don't, well, because we don't.

Perhaps because no one here has the authority to change the rule. So the explanation of why is, because its the way it is. But the way it is, is because coaches would argue constantly during the game that the lines need to be redrawn, after all in order to make that work you would need new lines every single time one is erased, not at specific intervals because that wouldn't make sense. No once a line is missing you would stop the game. Call out the crew and re line the offending portion of the field. Meanwhile the games are already too long, but forget about that we need to draw lines because the batter needs a visual clue on her peripheral vision that the batters box ends.

But will having a relatively thin white line really help? Isn't there a roughly 2 square foot white plate that serves as a visual reminder of the batter where her feet are not allowed? And did that serve as a guide to this particular batter to keep her feet from stepping in front of that plate? Seems that it did not.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Just watched that play again on ESPNU, which is re-broadcasting the game. That umpire is my hero. What a gutsy (and correct) call. Then took the abuse from assistant coach Glasco like a pro.

Chinamigarden is right about the rationale for not re-drawing the lines, IMO. There aren't enough missed calls in this regard to justify all the hassle that would come from allowing the lines to be re-drawn.

Nov 16, 2015
to me it was the correct call bc her left foot was in front of the plate. I was talking to an umpire about this a few weeks ago. He told me it is really hard to see if a slapper is indeed out of the FRONT of the box. This was different to me as she went out the SIDE of the box. Can a base ump make a judgement call on a slapper being out of the box? Would they have a better angle?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'd like to see the option for replay on two plays - batter out of the box, and runner leaving base early. Give each team 2 appeals per game. I know it's not practical, but I could tolerate a slightly slower game for that. Would add some strategy and suspense.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
I stand corrected...her foot was out of the batters box. The umpire was correct.

What was it that changed your mind that definately? Is there a better picture than was posted in this thread? Just wondering.

Also, I am with the swimcoach on this one. If you watch MLB game, they have a crew of people dragging small fences that drag the field between innings. Takes no time at all. Softball at NCAA level could have a crew that came out quickly and redid the box while teams were changing field during the bottom of the fourth or fifth or what ever. Could be done quickly and take very little time.

And for those saying that it would cause coaches to argue that it needs to be done. I don't buy that argument. Make it part of the rules. BB is relined once during the game, with NO option to do it more often than that. And just for the record, I am not advocating for it to be done in other levels of the game. Timed travel games, etc, it would be too time consuming. At the NCAA/college level, it would add maybe another 5 minutes to a game.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Also, I am with the swimcoach on this one. If you watch MLB game, they have a crew of people dragging small fences that drag the field between innings. Takes no time at all.

What you don't see is the grounds crew relining any part of the field. It takes considerably longer to line the boxes than it does for 6 or 7 guys to make a single pass with field drags.

Jun 22, 2008
What you don't see is the grounds crew relining any part of the field. It takes considerably longer to line the boxes than it does for 6 or 7 guys to make a single pass with field drags.

Not to mention the pitcher cannot be warming up while they are relining the batters boxes and if any other lines need to be replaced for not only the crews safety but that of the players none of the infielders should be warming up in the infield either.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Obviously would be a little bit of adjustment to what is done now. Pitchers in college get how many pitches between inning to warm up? I don't know the answer. DD is in 16u and most tournaments give them 3 or 5 I believe. That doesn't take very long. And really how many warm up throws does the infield need between innings in college. Not many. They probably get two or three now each and move on. Like I said above. It may add five extra minutes to a game. Not a big deal. It doesn't make any difference to me either way, I just think it would be doable. And for the record....yes I have lined fields and batters boxes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission