Tennessee coaches unhappy with California pitcher's shoe flap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Karen Weekly needs to get a set of kids swim fins and get one of her pitchers to practice wearing one this week, then show up this weekend at a tournament. Can you imagine the look on the umpires faces when the pitcher takes the circle wearing a swim fin on her drag foot? It would be a great publicity stunt!

Dec 20, 2012
This is the reason a simple rule or law is 200 pages long. The rules states the foot must remain in contact with the ground. So now in the rule they must define the "foot". The way I see it if the flap is not part of the shoe by design then it should be a problem. But then you would have to make toe savers/protectors that some pitchers add to the shoe illegal as well even though they are there for legit reasons.

But as the rule states the flap is not illegal, it is just working the system like it or not. It is no different than a kids shirt sleeve or excess material in the waist area of a uniform being HBP and awarded a base. The ball did not make contact with their body but the uniform is considered part of the player. No different than an elbow guard that protrudes an inch or better from the arm. It gets HBP, take your base.

Ask me if I like it, no! My kid has spent the last 2 months throwing into a net in order to correct her illegal pitch. So it seems unfair that by adding 2 inches of neoprene to a shoe in order to get around the system would be tolerated. ASA needs to make a ruling on this ASAP and define exactly what a "foot", "shoe" and "contact with the ground" actually mean.

But on the flip side I can't believe no one has tried this stunt sooner. It is so simple and genius at the same time!!

Feb 7, 2013
LOL!!!! Thanks for the laugh. I think even Sunderland-Finch would crack a smile on that one..but let's not become HeyBucket now...;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12