Teen dies after being hit in chest with softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 3, 2011
Depends On The Day
Teen dies after being hit in chest with softball on birthday
By Monica Garske, NBCSanDiego.com

A Ramona, Calif., high school student who turned 16 on Wednesday died after being hit in the chest with a softball during a physical education class, officials confirmed.

The teen -- identified as Taylor Dorman by friends, fellow students and Ramona High School principal Tony Newman -- collapsed on a school field after being struck by a ball just before 11:30 a.m. local time (2:30 p.m. ET).

Newman confirmed that Wednesday was the 10th-grader's birthday.

Dorman was airlifted to Palomar Hospital. Details on the teen’s condition at the time of his transport to the hospital were not immediately released.

The San Diego County medical examiner’s office will determine Dorman's official cause of death at a later time, as well as confirm whether possible contributing medical conditions played a role in his death.

On Wednesday night some students gathered at Ramona High School to mourn the sudden loss of their classmate. Students signed a memorial poster for Dorman and placed flowers near the poster.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Out in left field, Surely it wasn't a softball as we think of it. BUT, those indoor balls that I used to use in the gym could still kill someone, I imagine. I would never use a softball in the gym. I have never taught at a school that even allowed it.

Either way, what a horrible accident to have happen in this class and the boy's family. I note that the young man was a football player. But, he may have had an underlying heart problem.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Out in left field, Surely it wasn't a softball as we think of it. BUT, those indoor balls that I used to use in the gym could still kill someone, I imagine. I would never use a softball in the gym. I have never taught at a school that even allowed it.

Either way, what a horrible accident to have happen in this class and the boy's family. I note that the young man was a football player. But, he may have had an underlying heart problem.

Yes, they were playing "over the line" which is played with a softie...
I have been hit by lite flites that about knocked me out!

So sad to hear!

Apr 5, 2013
this is sad. It does bring up something I have wondered for a year or two. How may pitchers in fastpitch wear some type of chest guard? I know they make a shirt with a protection in it and wonder how many have used it?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009

Yes, they were playing "over the line" which is played with a softie...
I have been hit by lite flites that about knocked me out!

So sad to hear!

Jan 25, 2011
this is sad. It does bring up something I have wondered for a year or two. How may pitchers in fastpitch wear some type of chest guard? I know they make a shirt with a protection in it and wonder how many have used it?
My dd wore the evoshield shirt with the guard in it. She pitched and it never hurt her pitching, but it did make her really hot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30