Tear to my eye

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2013
Bolingbrook, IL
My sister-in-law, who just doesn't get the softball thing, lives 10 minutes from the fields and never once came to watch my DD play, asked DD if she's tired and will be glad when the season is over?.

DD's response without missing a beat was "Nope, I'll miss it." It brought a tear to my and DH eye because despite all the fights about practice and pitching, she does love to play.

Fortunately, she won't have long to miss it. MS tryouts start July 29.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yep. Some people get it, some people don't. My wife didn't see the light until our DD's first at-bat in her first game.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My sister used to give my DW and I grief about how we let softball "run our lives", but now my nephew is 12 and is playing travel baseball instead of rec ball and my sister is eating a lot of humble pie!!!! LOL

Jun 21, 2010
DD's grandma gets it. She comes from Montana to visit us in the spring and makes sure she comes during a tournament. She actually sat through 3 games on Sunday, and watched DD play in the championship game.

Other members of the family could care less and think we are crazy to do what we do.

Jan 24, 2013
Bolingbrook, IL
My parents spent the last 4 years watching my brother bowl in college, so now they are bored and instead they split their spring and summers watching my DS play baseball, my DD play softball, and my niece play softball and then going my sister's old lady co-ed slowpitch games after the grandkids play. I think they are on a field more than I am.

Like I said, my husband's family just doesn't understand why we do it and it's been a crazy year, but I wouldn't change it one bit.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
When I played with my last slow pitch softball team. One of the guys on my team, his dad came to every game. This teammate and friend was in his 40s and his dad came to all of his games. I told him once that he came to more games then several of my LL players fathers.

Last week he passed, and his son put a ball we all signed after a championship season into the casket. I still think of all of those games he would stand along the fence watching us play, and then I watch my dd play and some of the team parents I never see at the games, I get that the extended family doesn't get it. But I am shocked when the parents don't

Nov 29, 2009
My father-in-law was living with us for a while when my DD was playing ball. He would always complain that everything was "softball, softball, softball" all the time. His son played hockey in HS and he never went to a game. In all the years my DD played he came to one game and left early. The closest he ever got to playing a sport when he was younger was playing poker. In his later years it was pushing buttons on video poker games.

Some people are not sports minded at all. They will never "GET" it so I don't even try to explain it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1