Teams accused of throwing playoff game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ItsJustAGameCoach!

Softball Sponge
Dec 7, 2014
Surprise Arizona
When my wife and I found this article, she immediately asked me what I would do if this was my DD's team? It took me a second, because every immediate thought that I had led to more questions or more problems. I know it would suck for my daughter at that moment, however I would have to pull my daughter off of the court and have her sit next to me in the bleachers in order to help us "BOOOO!" the game, the coaches and the players who continued to participate in the losing affair. As far as who should be held accountable and pay certain consequences, there would be a very fine line to walk in order to try to make it as fair as possible.

Apr 8, 2013
Once you hit the state tournament, you're trying to get the best place you can get. If the state doesn't want them to do that, they need to fix their setup. My state has the brackets drawn out for each division at state before the season even starts. And then it's a modified double elimination. Meaning those that lose have a chance for 3rd. Top two undefeated teams play for 1-2.

So if Tenn is going to have a goofy setup like that, then they need to know this type of thing will happen.

Exactly. Some say it's only HS and the coaches should be teaching "life lessons" and "character development." That's all fine and dandy for those to say who aren't in the thick of it. HS coaches around here can get fired from coaching just like college and pro coaches do.

Tennessee HS association has been criticized a lot over the past few years for boneheaded decisions like this. Politics and good ol' boys club continue to rule and what's best for competition and sports is thrown out the window. The way HS football playoffs are set here is more ridiculous than the basketball bracket fiasco.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
t's a terrible example to set for your players and your school, but there are at least 3 or 4 NBA teams tanking on purpose and there isn't nearly this level of discussion about it.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
t's a terrible example to set for your players and your school, but there are at least 3 or 4 NBA teams tanking on purpose and there isn't nearly this level of discussion about it.

NBA teams might shut down injured players or gut their rosters and plan for the lottery, but I don't believe any coaches or players are trying to lose games or slacking off on the court. If you're an NBA player, it is in your best interest to play as hard as you can every night. Same goes for coaches.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The way HS football playoffs are set here is more ridiculous than the basketball bracket fiasco.

What is ridiculous about either?

High school associations are criticized everywhere, often for good reason, other times from people don't understand the rationale behind what might seem strange at first glance.

I don't know in the case of Tennessee's brackets. I don't know exactly how they work.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2014
There was a thread on this topic last summer if it was ok to not play our best to go to silver instead of gold. If memory serves me the only time it was OK was to avoid the 8am game :)

Softball should not begin til 9:00A !

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
A few years ago in my area there was a LL baseball coach who was in the last inning of a game that he was winning, when he figured out there was a player he hadn't used yet. He told his pitcher to start walking everybody in an effort to let the other team tie the game up, so he could get his last player in the game. The other coach figured out what was going on, and told his hitters to start swinging at everything. Can't remember how that one turned out.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
NBA teams might shut down injured players or gut their rosters and plan for the lottery, but I don't believe any coaches or players are trying to lose games or slacking off on the court. If you're an NBA player, it is in your best interest to play as hard as you can every night. Same goes for coaches.

I see you haven't been watching the Sixers, Knicks, Bucks, and Lakers lately. Unwatchable!!

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Recently the Sixers and Knicks both won on the same night. That happened a few weeks ago as well.

As for the Bucks, the stuff going on with that team is far too weird to even get into. Seriously, this even has Indian tribes fighting against each other and with a major donor based in Las Vegas (initials SA). Since Governor Walker got involved in the mess, the Bucks will probably wind up as an issue in the 2016 election circus. I wish I were joking. Already an ESPN columnist withdrew his support for Walker in 2016 based on the Milwaukee Bucks.