Taking it easy on weaker teams?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Runs scored should NOT be used as a tiebreaker in tournaments.It promotes an unnecessary dilemma for coaches. That being said, I'd lose a higher seed before I ran a score up to get a better seed. There plenty of other criteria available.Head to head, runs allowed, coin flip)Try to think of games against vastly inferior competition as a learning experience for the other team.

Runs allowed is always the first consideration for seeding (at least in any tournament I've played). Runs scored only applies if runs allowed is equal.

Besides, it's silly to try to seed as first. That usually means a bye and less softball for your dollar.

-W

Sep 3, 2009
Well there's a long list. Some of which some will argue it's insulting to back off that far.

Don't steal.
Don't go on passed balls.
Pitch your last string pitcher
Move your defense around
Don't gripe when the ump opens up the zone for their pitcher.
Others will add to this list but, at some point, you just run out of options.
If it gets ugly enough you can start leaving the base early for the out though some will argue this is demeaning to the other team. If you do it, don't make it obvious. Again, at some point, you run out of options and the other team doesn't want to stand out there for an hour.

I'd agree with all of that. I'd move the D around, so that girls were playing unfamiliar territory.

We had a similar game this past season. Coach would yell out to the baserunner "hey, don't leave early like that, you'll get called out". That was a sign, to leave the base early.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Well I have to give cudos to the 14A CC Krush coaching staff. 1st Pool game at Western Nat's and our girls didn't come to play. The Krush scored 8 runs in the 1st on mutiple fielding errors. Almost from that point, he was holding runners, stopped stealing, stopped bunting. It was good to see that they respected the game.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I generally change the D, always stop runners from stealing etc.
I DO NOT walk off the bases, in 12U we walked off and the other coach
said walking off bases was a show of disrespect, score was 17-0 at the time, we scored
15 on batted balls in the 2nd. Having been on the other end of blowouts in
the young years, I would have welcomed the walk offs when my defense was
on the field for 45 min

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207