Swinging at high balls, I need help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

and this is exactly why I do a little drill with my pitchers with a basketball placed on a tee right in the middle of the plate and tell them to throw strikes without hitting the basketball......this is part of our fun wind down or warm up time and contrasts with the putting a softball on a tee on the corners at having them try to knock the softball off the tee, just fun things to do with pitchers to mix it up a little I usually line up our pitchers and have them throw a couple pitches each and make a contest out of it.

Mar 28, 2011
SW Ohio
You don't agree that 100% of strikes are hittable?

As I said before I don't think it's always true. For some batters it is, and I think it should be a goal for those that it isn't true of.
At the younger ages I initially teach the strike zone. With experience and coaching they become aware of their hitting zone. Once a player understands the strike zone and their hitting zone the can lay off the knee high "strike" (or whatever pitch it is they struggle with) if they are ahead in the count and it isn't a pitch they currently hit well. They should at this point be aware (or made aware) of their hitting weakness. At that point the focus should be on expanding their hitting zone.

Apr 19, 2013
Have her stand in her stance and "track" every ball without swinging. Track it from the pitcher's hand until it goes by her. Stating high, low, inside, outside. The key is getting them to see the ball

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Reps, reps, reps. I've thought about an electronic dog training collar too, but never found a volunteer willing to try that approach. Go figure.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I don't know if this is the case with your DD, but a lot of first year 10s are used to having pitches lobbed to them when they were in coach pitch. Make sure you are throwing "flat" pitches when practicing, even if you have to get behind a screen at 15 feet. Ball trajectory is key to training the eyes.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Practice, practice, practice...
They simply need repetition of seeing the difference between hittable pitches and ones they should let go. No magic wand here. Practice makes permanent. Make sure they are only attacking what's in their hitting zone while at practice.

Mar 31, 2013
The fact that they are actually swinging is a good sign.

I wouldn't get caught up in, "is it a ball or strike". The question they should be asking is, "can I hit this pitch?". Balls and strikes are subjective.

I agree with this totally.... Too many kids get caught up with is it a ball...is it a strike...is it a ball....dang it it was a strike.

I go with the approach of can you hit it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG