Success with the slingshot!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
As a former sling shot pitcher who had an injury, please be careful that the hips don't close with this style. Keeping them at 45 degrees or more open is harder to do with this style. It has something to do with the momentum, the quickness of the motion leading to shorter strides, and that you really can increase velocity with hips slamming the door over not (being we are results oriented when it comes to speed). I also do not find it compatible with leaping and dragging; it is more of a step style. Slamming the door is still out there in many articles and papers!

It is much harder to throw movement pitches with the slingshot, although Joan Joyce says it is easier to throw a riseball.

In my experimenting with it, using the more modern versions, I actually prefer that young ladies NOT do this style at all, but if someone can show me a good version, I may be convinced (especially since its use seems to be as a trick or for "non-athletic types"). Not a fan of mixing it in. Not my thing, as far as staying consistent with control.

Hi Screwball.

I have just sent a video to Stacie to have her post it on the Sneaky Softball Pitching page. It is a simple video of me throwing using a double pump wind up followed by a softball submarine wind up. My students always mixed in the two and sometimes even used 3 different wind ups. They had no control problems at all becasue the regular leap and drag wind up, the double pump and the softball submarine are all a part of each other. And soon as that was pointed out to them and they realized it, it was a snap for them. One style is their bread and butter pitch, but one style will set the batter up for the next.

Give Stacie a day or two to get that done and the video will show the difference.

This is not a training video, there are major timing issues you have to be aware of to throw it safely and with full speed.

sneakysoftballpitching.com

Sep 3, 2009
Does anyone have a video or a link to a video of a slingshot pitch being thrown correctly? Curious really.

My students have shown mixing the 2 styles has worked in winning different types of championships thru numerous years of pitching. Granted many graviate away from mixing the 2 when they gain further experience. Some parents have actually said that when their daughter runs into problems whith control they throw a few sling shots and they get their mechanics back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz