Strength and Conditioning for Pitchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW

Apr 17, 2019
Ken asked for videos. Here is a 12 min show and tell of some of the joint stability exercises my dd does 2-3X/week all year round. I had her perform them. Any questions or need help lmk. Thanks. Hope you enjoy. Dr T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice video, my DD does the throwers 10, same frequency as this. I need to add these upper body and lower body exercises into what we do now.

Apr 8, 2019
Thanks for the bump. Good topic. Just a few ideas for the group to consider:

1) Strength is the ability to apply force.
2) Power is the ability to apply force quickly.
3) Pitchers need power.
4) Power is a function of Strength; therefore, one (likely the best) way to increase power is to increase strength.
5) The best way to improve strength is to use loaded compound movements like the following with a linear weight progression:
-The Squat (Strength Oriented)
-The Deadlift (Strength Oriented)
-The Power Clean (Power Oriented)
-The Overhead Press (Strength Oriented)
-The Bench Press (Strength Oriented - though I might advise avoiding this one given the complications it can cause in the shoulder joint.)

Joint stability movement patterns mentioned earlier in this thread are good, just not nearly as good as the fundamental movement patterns listed above because they isolate the muscle and limit the amount of load that can be lifted.

Given two pitchers of equal skill, the pitcher that deadlifts 405 can throw faster than the pitcher who deadlifts 135.

And for my most controversial statement: Developing strength is built by using a strength training program. Developing skill (like pitching) is done by practicing that skill. Both are necessary, however, when combining the two, the effectiveness of building both strength and skill is reduced.

Humbly, some references below for your reference.

I'm glad you mentioned Rip's take on strength in sports. I'm a fan, and I'm currently using the LP. His arguments are well though through, and built on a lifetime of training and coaching. However, it appears that nearly everyone in the sports community disagrees with him. Basically zero strength trainers who coach high level athletes ascribe to his basic theory.
When asked about that, he just says they are stupid and don't know what they are doing. But that is hard to swallow when there are literally hundreds of millions of dollars on the line. The best protocols are likely to rise to the top.
I'm just some guy trying to figure this stuff out for my DD and myself. I'd be interested in others opinions.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Ken any additional feedback on this program since you posted this?
I wish I had more to tell other than I trust Nyree and Coach White to give their athletes the best they can. I like that it’s designed for softball players. I think it’s a good option for those who don’t have access to a trainer. I don’t like the idea of unsupervised workouts, but my hope is that they address key points of good and bad form.

Sorry I don’t have more…

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Pauly and Next Level Softball have offer a very comprehensive program that targets specific areas of each athlete.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles