Starting the season without a pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
Well I will be starting my HS season basically with no pitcher. I have been working with a few freshmen since before regular practice began but they are nowhere close to ready. The one pitcher I have that kind of can pitch is ineligible for the first 3 games. I will do the best I can with what I have got. I love Softball but I hate the fact that you can have a team that's better than your opponent in every way but if you don't have a pitcher your sunk. It takes so long to become a pitcher and I will be getting most all of them as freshmen with no experience. On the upside I am having the most fun of my life!!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Good on the Team and fun part, good luck on the pitcher part.

Don't let the other players get on them, if they do throw them in the circle and let's see how they do.

Try not to walk to many while keeping it inside the fence, take your chances.

Easier posted then done. :)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A good pitcher can make the difference between a good season and a bad season....if you plan to continue coaching get to the local REC and TB programs and get some girls into pitching lessons!

Feb 15, 2016
A good pitcher can make the difference between a good season and a bad season....if you plan to continue coaching get to the local REC and TB programs and get some girls into pitching lessons!

Agree 100%. A few years ago we started running open pitching for girls of all ages during the off-season and we will have decent pitching for the HS for years to come. We might not have an ace who throws 60 with 4 pitches but we have girls who can hit corners and throw a change-up. Make them earn their runs and just don't walk too many girls!

Mar 29, 2012
Agree with above, get to the local rec leagues and either convince parents to get lessons or else learn as much as you can and start giving open lessons so that you will have some girls coming up with at least basic ability to throw fassballs and changeups for strikes.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2016
Our girls had a single day of pitching instruction before taking the mound and let's just say that it was brutal. I taught them a drop ball and it was the only pitch our opponents whiffed at whenever the girls could get it in the zone. I've been trying to learn how to pitch myself coming from being a baseball pitcher, so that I could teach them and feel that I finally have got it down after 2 weeks. Now I can really teach them how to pitch. Problem is we have no defense with only 7 days of practice under their belts (some just 2-3 days). If you're able to, hire a pitching coach for a day or two or once a week if you can commit to that. Get the AD on board to use any booster funds for that, or have the team fund raise.

Sep 29, 2014
Our rec league paid for pitching lessons (really reduced price since it was free recruiting for instructor who also taught hitting) for two hours a week for about six weeks each team could send two and they where group lessons but it was a great investment, the ones that really wanted to could keep taking lesson on their own afterward, I would also make my catchers go catch for them and teach the catchers at the same time.

I really feel for you...the season will be a long and painful one, but better for now to find someone to get the ball over, getting run ruled every game is one thing, only getting in two innings because you walked bases loaded and then six or seven batters is another thing completely, there is runs per inning rule in HS you gotta get three outs and to do that you have to put the ball in play since you aren't getting any strikeouts.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Good news too is you are probably going to see most the other Teams twice, you are going to be getting better and better every week.

Jun 13, 2010
Our girls had a single day of pitching instruction before taking the mound and let's just say that it was brutal. I taught them a drop ball and it was the only pitch our opponents whiffed at whenever the girls could get it in the zone. I've been trying to learn how to pitch myself coming from being a baseball pitcher, so that I could teach them and feel that I finally have got it down after 2 weeks. Now I can really teach them how to pitch. Problem is we have no defense with only 7 days of practice under their belts (some just 2-3 days). If you're able to, hire a pitching coach for a day or two or once a week if you can commit to that. Get the AD on board to use any booster funds for that, or have the team fund raise.

Acually I am the pitching coach, And I do have three girls that started a few weeks before the season started and they are progressing just not ready for games quite yet. we have no travel ball at all, we have a real limited LL program that the local Park and rec wants gone because the director hates SB. I spent two and a half years with a PC and learned a ton back when my daughter was playing. You just don't make pitchers overnight. I think we will be fine at some point and I am having so much fun it should be illegal!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors