Starting over

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2013
Ok just got my DD the NECC dvd in the mail today...Birthday gift that she got early as I broke the puppy out as I will need to learn everything just to get her up to speed...first off GREAT DvD...secondly it looks like for the most part she will be starting over on 80% of what she has learned lol....mind you I have never played catcher so all I taught her was from reading or from watching catchers in the pros.....her biggest issue actually is her stance....she said they all feel weird and I understand that they will untill she gets used to them but her no runners on stance she looks like she is struggling with it....thankfully we both understand its going to take some time to get used to I just hope it gets easier on her lol...........gonna be a great bonding time for sure ;)

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
One of the most common things I hear from catchers trying out the 3 stances NECC teaches (As do I) is that the no runner on is uncomfortable and the runner on is painful. (And IT IS! Especially just starting out.) Encourage her to stick with them though. The no runner on tends to stretch the hamstrings a bit and takes a little getting used to. Runner on becomes more natural as the quads are conditioned (Why the wall sits are imperative!) If she uses "knee savers" and there are no balance issues, try taking them off. Knee savers aren't really needed with the stances taught by NECC. The only time I see them needed is when a catcher's legs or torso hits a growth spurt and they have balance issues in no runner on stance. She should take breaks, stand up and stretch when needed (posture relief) and then get back at it.

If she needs encouragement, Catchingcamp (NECC) and Chazbz1 (ACC) have a lot of great videos on YouTube demonstrating the effectiveness of these stances. Best of luck!
-Chaz

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2013
Thanks Chaz...yeah she said herself its going to take some getting used to but once her legs get stronger she will be fine....just awkward for her and atad painful...time to suck it up I said lol

Apr 11, 2013
She is very excited to get rolling told her the work starts monday for sure...not gonna wear her out but a little bit each day she will be fine by next year or atleast set in the right direction....we are talking about winter ball indoors here...we shall see

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan