Stale practices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2014
Middle America
Dd plays on a competitive 12u A team. Over the last few months - practices have become weak and it seems they work on the same old stuff and not activities which have been problems in games. What should I be seeing them work on. I'd like to make suggestions to the coach ( we're to that point). I mean I'm really enjoying getting home early Sunday and getting chores done but we should be going deeper in tournaments. Practices are defense only. Hitting on your own.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
BB just turned the heat up on her 12U Team. Came home last night soaking wet. She said that the girls were just as sweaty and that they were worn out after practice. You are right in that practices can become stale and so, coaches have to change things up.

May 17, 2012
I canceled practice last night after a long but successful weekend. Wednesdays practice will be a walk through.

It's June and if you aren't ready by now it's too late.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Dd plays on a competitive 12u A team. Over the last few months - practices have become weak and it seems they work on the same old stuff and not activities which have been problems in games. What should I be seeing them work on. I'd like to make suggestions to the coach ( we're to that point). I mean I'm really enjoying getting home early Sunday and getting chores done but we should be going deeper in tournaments. Practices are defense only. Hitting on your own.

Can you give an example of what one of their defensive practices looks like?

What are some things that are constantly mediocre\poor in games?

Do you not have a facility to get hitting practice too?

CP

Jan 17, 2014
Middle America
I canceled practice last night after a long but successful weekend. Wednesdays practice will be a walk through.

It's June and if you aren't ready by now it's too late.

Yea. I pretty much agree with this. At this point you got what you got. Our defense is solid and above average. I think some of the infielders, dd included that have a little more range than they realize. What do you do in practice to get them To commit to that one more step and dive? Not just stick you glove out and fall down.. Hitting is day to day. To rephrase my earlier post.... There are wrinkles in every teams game- offense and defense, what is worth spending time on in practice? recent situation: runner on third 1 out. Bunt down third, runner on 3rd charges halfway home. girl playing third fields bunt and throws to first. Run scores. She could have easily faked throw to first and turned around and tagged the runner but didn't. why?

Jul 6, 2013
Why is because they haven't worked it. Put runners on 3rd with infield and have them practice checking before the throw. My rule is we go for the runner on 3rd first. If they have any play at all, even if the girl is waiting for a throw, we go for her. Most coaches in 12s and even 14s will tell the girl to wait for the throw. As a result, if the girl looks at them and turns back to 1st, they take off because they assume a throw to 1st. You don't even need a fake to 1st. Check, look at first, and check back. But if she's off enough, we won't even look to 1st.

We do diving drills in practice. The girls love it. It breaks up the practice and they can't wait to do it. There are several different ways to do it, but the more you have them get in the ground the correct way where it won't hurt, the more they will do it in games. You can't expect a girl to field grounder a correctly after 1000 reps, but expect them to dive after 5 reps.

Jul 6, 2013
As far as it being June, and having what you got, I would generally agree. However, this year for many of us, field practice has been almost non existent with the weather. We are still working through kinks, as are a lot of teams in the area. We've had 4 tournaments rained out this year already. 4 out of 7 so far....

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Yea. I pretty much agree with this. At this point you got what you got. Our defense is solid and above average. I think some of the infielders, dd included that have a little more range than they realize. What do you do in practice to get them To commit to that one more step and dive? Not just stick you glove out and fall down.. Hitting is day to day. To rephrase my earlier post.... There are wrinkles in every teams game- offense and defense, what is worth spending time on in practice? recent situation: runner on third 1 out. Bunt down third, runner on 3rd charges halfway home. girl playing third fields bunt and throws to first. Run scores. She could have easily faked throw to first and turned around and tagged the runner but didn't. why?

Depending upon the situation, getting the runner at 1st and letting the run score might be the correct call. Say your up by 5, with 1 out. Now your up by 4 but have 2 outs and nobody on base...

Jul 6, 2013
But then the batter is a slapper who runs a 2.6 who you have no shot at getting so you fake her to get the girl at 3rd. Lol. But you are absolutely right. Situations and score will definitely dictate the particular defensive call for the play. You can't have, or practice, just one option for certain situations.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26