SS Gave Up Interference Rule?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
3) Another one- BR on 2b, hit is deflected by pitcher and fielded/played by F4.

Regarding this from Obbay's post. If a ball is deflected and the runner collides or "interferes" with the next fielders opportunity to field the ball is it interference or obstruction. Is a deflected ball still a "batted ball?" A runner can't possible anticipate the path of a fielder or the ball on a deflection.

LetsPlayTwo

LetsPlayTwo
Jul 4, 2014
Ohio
No infield fly. It was clearly a line-drive type of trajectory. The momentary freeze happened at the crack of the bat. The hesitation and dropped ball happened because the infielder tried to avoid contact with the runner after the infielder attempted to play the ball - as both players and the ball converged on the same spot.

Maybe I'm just venting on this ump and looking for validation. We were also on the losing end of another questionable "reason why I made the call" call...Batter/Runner overruns 1B; beat throw; turns left and heads back to first base with F3 holding the ball; I say "right back here" pointing at the bag; crowd yells TAG HER; runner does a little pirouette reflexively to avoid what was an easy tag because she's totting back towards F3 and the bag (partially because the lead runner is on 2nd so there is no place to go. OUT...not because she made a move to second...wait for it...because she was in fair territory. Yes, I know the safe play is to turn right so let no go there.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If a fielder has the opportunity to make a play the runner needs to stay out of thier way period. All the rest is noise.

If I remember correctly only 1 fielder is protected at any given time. So if 3rd and SS are going for the same ball umpire needs to pick 1 to be protected, the other one can be called for obstruction.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The one fielder protected at a time is the only confusing part.

Runner on 2nd, ball hit to left side 3rd has the 1st opportunity to catch the ball with the SS behind her. Ball goes under 3rd's glove.

3rd is protected until the ball goes by her then it immediately switches to SS. So if the runner runs into SS before the ball gets by 3rd it is obstruction on SS, if the runner runs into SS after the ball gets by 3rd it is interference on runner.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
If a fielder has the opportunity to make a play the runner needs to stay out of thier way period. All the rest is noise.
So if this is true even if a deflection occurs why is a runner not out if they get hit with a deflected ball If another player could make a play.

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
If I remember correctly only 1 fielder is protected at any given time.
So in the case of a second baseman fielding a ball that the pitcher deflected to the right side of the infield , why would the SS be protected?
I thought it should've been obstruction.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
So in the case of a second baseman fielding a ball that the pitcher deflected to the right side of the infield , why would the SS be protected?
I thought it should've been obstruction.

I think obstruction too, the 2nd would be the only one protected.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
So if this is true even if a deflection occurs why is a runner not out if they get hit with a deflected ball If another player could make a play.

I think you are introducing another rule here, I do not think the P detecting the ball has any effect.

If the ball hits the runner before it passes another fielder, runner is out. If she interfere with the next fielder trying to make the play, runner is out.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I think you are introducing another rule here, I do not think the P detecting the ball has any effect.

If the ball hits the runner before it passes another fielder, runner is out. If she interfere with the next fielder trying to make the play, runner is out.

We had this in our game this past weekend where the ball was deflected off of the pitcher and it hit our runner, the SS still could have made a play on the ball but they did not rule interference, live ball and we played on. I guess I'm still not sure on the answer to my original question. Is a deflected ball still considered a batted ball because for there to be interference the fielders have to be in the act of fielding a batted ball. I think it's an important distinction. Rule 8-8-F When a runner is hit by a fair batterd ball after it touches or is touched by any fielder, including the pitcher and the runner could not avoid contact with the ball they are NOT out.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
We had this in our game this past weekend where the ball was deflected off of the pitcher and it hit our runner, the SS still could have made a play on the ball but they did not rule interference, live ball and we played on. I guess I'm still not sure on the answer to my original question. Is a deflected ball still considered a batted ball because for there to be interference the fielders have to be in the act of fielding a batted ball. I think it's an important distinction. Rule 8-8-F When a runner is hit by a fair batterd ball after it touches or is touched by any fielder, including the pitcher and the runner could not avoid contact with the ball they are NOT out.

I posted the applicable rule in the other thread.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi