Spring Reminder for Catchers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Here in the mid-west tournament play is ramping up. Starting temps in the mornings are in the 30's and 40's! In reviewing tournament games with my catchers, a few details seem to be forgotten over the winter months and I thought I would share these details with you....

Protect your throwing hand. Don't get benched with a broken finger or tendon damage... I tell my catchers that after the pitch sign is given, do not allow your pitcher to see their throwing hand. If the pitcher can see it, the pitch can hit it.

[video=youtube_share;VQd8n8-RbQA]http://youtu.be/VQd8n8-RbQA[/video]

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Blocking- Don't let pitches get past you! I am reminding my catchers that the glove ALWAYS moves first to intersect the ball. Glove first, then let the body follow. (Don't just reach out with the glove and try to snag the ball)

[video=youtube_share;MPLDCEYntCk]http://youtu.be/MPLDCEYntCk[/video]

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Ever play freeze tag? I use this example to remind my catchers to "Stick The Pitch" That is, discipline yourself NOT to let the glove move after the pitch contacts it. Often catchers move to intersect their glove to the ball and allow momentum to carry the pitch out of the strike zone. Make it easy on the ump by playing freeze tag with the pitch. The pitched ball is "IT",, Once the ball hits the glove, the glove is "Frozen" and can't move for one second. (Unless of course someone is stealing!) This reminder is best used at practices, lessons and warm ups. You wll be surprised at how many strikes this simple discipline can get your pitcher!

On cold mornings, have you watched your catcher during an inning take their hand out of their glove and blow on it to warm it up? Or shake their hand after a particularly hard pitch? Most of us know about hand warmers and many players keep them in their pockets. But a glove laying on the ground or concrete on a 38 degree morning acts as a heat sink as soon as your catcher puts it out and sucks all the warmth from their hand. Try keeping one or two hand warmers inside the glove when your team is at bat. It will help your catcher keep her hands warm and reduce the chance of injury.

handwarmers.jpg

-Chaz

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach