Some questions about the recruiting process, any help welcome!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2014
Hi there,

I am a frequent reader, never poster, looking for some help. I have a daughter, who pitches well, and not from the "I'm her mom" perspective. Recently worked with Bev Smith, and was invited to camp for further evaluation, has been asked back to NC State after attending camp last summer, as well as UPenn and Delaware.

Thing is, she's a 2018, only in 8th grade. I have been doing a lot of reading and research but there are so many things out there that i just can't find answers to!

In the fall, we sent out her team schedule and letters to coaches when she played with her team or was guest playing with other teams, and of course, we would get the robo-responses, but after visiting some camps last summer, this fall and this winter, we think we need to start being a little more serious about what we are doing to help her out.

Okay - so all of that said, I know that she can email coaches, or call them (which doesn't seem appropriate at this point since she hasn't really 100% spoken to anyone one on one for anything more than an invite to camp). If she emails a coach, can they email back? Is it realistic to expect a response? In the case of Bev Smith, due to the time restraints and travel, school etc, it was not feesible to attend their winter camp, even though she out and out asked my daughter directly to come to either the winter or summer 2014 camp. Would it be appropriate for my daughter to write her an email, basically saying it was great meeting and working with her, we appreciate that she wanted my daughter to attend the camp, but we're sorry that it wasn't something that we were able accomodate this winter. Hopefully we can see her in the summer, we look forward to following a great SC Softball season blah blah blah. to keep the lines of communication open?

Also - when attending camps, regardless of if they are open camps (with multiple schools/coaches in attendance) or campus camps (only one school), should the girls be writing follow up emails expressing their appreciation, enjoyment, following up on any comments/suggestions etc that may have happend at the camp. Does anyone know how the coaches feel about that.... would they appreciate it or frown upon it?

And lastly, there has been an arguement in our house about what to wear to camps. We found an articel from Cathi Aradi and it says - "Parents (bless their hearts) can (and should) be able to pick their player out of a group of 100 others even from a block away. But college coaches will just see this blob of players, and they will likely notice those with the most bells and whistles, the brightest colors, or who are jumping up and down and doing cartwheels. Does that mean those players are the best? Not at all. But they may be the best at getting noticed." What does this mean to you?

Thanks for reading, i know it's a lot, just trying to figure out how to do this thing, and hopefully do it right!

Mar 26, 2013
College coaches are not restricted in contacting you or your DD yet because she's not a prospective student-athlete according to NCAA rules. She becomes a PSA when she starts classes for 9th grade.

Communication is always good. You mentioned receiving robo-responses - make sure you're not sending out robo-notices. Imagine you're a college coach with an inbox full of emails from players - what is going to catch your interest as you work your way through them? Put that in the beginning of your email because otherwise they may not get down to reading it. My advice is for your DD to personalize them in ways that reveal her personality, positive traits and specific knowledge about their school/program. Everybody expects coaches to read everything they've written. Coaches expect players have done some research about their school and/or program if they're really interested, so demonstrate it.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am not a recruiting expert, but here is my $0.02....

Encourage your DD to keep coaches up to date on her activities. Do not bombard them with emails, twice a month is probably good. When sending an email make the heading "Suzy Q, 2018 pitcher". This allows the coaching staff to quickly find your DD using their search function. I would also include a picture or profile page in the email so the coaches can put a name with her face.

College coaches are not allowed to have direct contact with you or your DD unless you are on their campus. Therefore, do NOT be offended by the lack of response. Coaches error on the side of caution when it comes to recruiting.

College teams start their season Feb 1st and go through the CWS, so the coaches have their hands full until mid-June.

Continue playing in showcases where your DD will be seen by multiple college coaches. Try to attend the camps of teams in your DD's "top 5" - "top 10" if finances allow.

We encourage all of the girls on our TB team to wear their TB jersey to any camps they attend. We are a fairly new organization and we are trying to increase our name recognition amongst college coaches. Our girls are "paying it forward" for the younger girls in our organization.

Good luck!

Mar 26, 2013
College coaches are not allowed to have direct contact with you or your DD unless you are on their campus. Therefore, do NOT be offended by the lack of response. Coaches error on the side of caution when it comes to recruiting.
Please provide back-up for your assertion. Keep in mind the following NCAA definitions:

13.02.4 Contact. A contact is any face-to-face encounter between a prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete’s parents, relatives or legal guardians and an institutional staff member or athletics representative during which any dialogue occurs in excess of an exchange of a greeting.

13.02.12 Prospective Student-Athlete. A prospective student-athlete is a student who has started classes for the ninth grade.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If she emails a coach, can they email back? Yes Is it realistic to expect a response? No. The coaches are getting 20-40 e-mails , a day.
Would it be appropriate for my daughter to write her an email? Yes, of course.
As far as the coach being able to pick your daughter out of a crowd, she can wear something as simple as rainbow colored shoe strings or a hat that is weird. You don't want her to blend in.

Nov 29, 2009
In all the years of running tryouts THE best thing I ever saw was a girl wearing bright neon colored shirt with here last name on it. I knew who that girl was without having to check my sheets or look for her tryout number. It also helped that she was a stellar athlete too. She stuck out. She out worked all the other girls there.

Jan 25, 2014
Thank you all for the feedback!! I really do appreciate everything and look forward to any additional feedback as well!

Dec 7, 2011
Here is my 2 cents (my experience with DD signed/sealed/delivered):

I thought the "camps" - (meaning true camps run at the hosts own school) are events that are very difficult to get a first notice in. These "host-camps" have the host staff running around all crazy just trying to provide "the camp". Out of all the host-camps we went to I would generalize them in this way => Seems like only the girls with pre-existing relationships with the school get personal attention.

The better individual exposure for a girl I believe comes from the "off-site-camp". These are events where the coaches come to a neutral location and are relaxed and their "recruiting eyes are open". I would strongly recommend the events where the coaches are actually in the scrimmages with the players.

Now I would also state that the 'mega-events" like the ones in CO can stray from the effectiveness I mention above.

As for neon shirts and maybe having the biggest hair bow,.....be careful with that. I think many times the over-the-top-notice-me gimmics are easily called out by coaches that have been around the block and back. With soooooo many timid girls out there I would press your DD to remember a couple things going into these exposure events. It's all about positive "teaming" spirit along with line drives & crazy dives (copyright submitted :) ). The one who gets the look is the go-getter that dives after any ball in reach, ropes the crap out of hits, and plays the teaming role like ya see on tv. I would polish this before ya go get that neon shirt.

Dec 20, 2012
Here is my 2 cents (my experience with DD signed/sealed/delivered):

I thought the "camps" - (meaning true camps run at the hosts own school) are events that are very difficult to get a first notice in. These "host-camps" have the host staff running around all crazy just trying to provide "the camp". Out of all the host-camps we went to I would generalize them in this way => Seems like only the girls with pre-existing relationships with the school get personal attention.

The better individual exposure for a girl I believe comes from the "off-site-camp". These are events where the coaches come to a neutral location and are relaxed and their "recruiting eyes are open". I would strongly recommend the events where the coaches are actually in the scrimmages with the players.

Now I would also state that the 'mega-events" like the ones in CO can stray from the effectiveness I mention above.

As for neon shirts and maybe having the biggest hair bow,.....be careful with that. I think many times the over-the-top-notice-me gimmics are easily called out by coaches that have been around the block and back. With soooooo many timid girls out there I would press your DD to remember a couple things going into these exposure events. It's all about positive "teaming" spirit along with line drives & crazy dives (copyright submitted :) ). The one who gets the look is the go-getter that dives after any ball in reach, ropes the crap out of hits, and plays the teaming role like ya see on tv. I would polish this before ya go get that neon shirt.

I agree. We ran ourselves ragged getting our dd to camps. We drove 200 miles to U of N Texas to attend a camp in which she was invited. This was a Saturday. We finished up around 8 after hanging around and talking to the coaches and some of the other recruits. P and C only camp and daughter got lots of one on one with then P coach Lisa Ferguson, only about 8 P there. So it was very much worth it to us. After driving back home and getting a couple hours sleep we picked up 2 more dads and players to make the 350 mile drive to Lawrence, KS in order to be there by 7 am. She was not invited to this camp but we were doing anything we could to get her noticed. There were probably 60 kids there, give or take. Daughter was a sophomore at the time and she did stand out pitching(coming from dad so take it for what it's worth). Never any interest was shown to her or any of the others that were not already being recruited by the Jayhawks. Same thing happened at a few other camps. Finally went to an invite only exposure camp that had several D1, D2, and NAIA schools. There were pros and cons. There were tons of kids 120+, there were orgs. that had invite for one or two kids and brought half the team. They had money and it was good enough to get them in. If you REALLY stood out it was very good, it your were OK it was OK. There were just too many girls that should probably not have been there. But with exception of a few everyone was being seen for the first time by the coaches so more level playing field.

After all said and done the camps were good experiences and made good memories but not all of them were necessary. I would not tell anyone not to attend the camps but if you are on a budget save the money for the schools that are interested. With that being said, a local inexpensive camp would be a good idea for her first camp in order for the kids to know what to expect. A good skills video and introduction email will get the attention of coaches that are interested. Once they show interest you will get invites to their camps.

Last edited: